How Can I Make This?

I would like to be able to reproduce this picture.  While I would appreciate your thoughts on how to make the splat in the foreground, I am really curious how to make the different sized and different colored circles in the background that overlap irregularly.  Thanks in advance.

David

splat.png

To create various halftone effects upon a layer; this plugins maybe helpful:

You can use the Outline Object plugin and the custom Shapes from BoltBait's Plugin Pack to add the out line colors to your explosion type shape from the pack:

Links to useful information:

Edited by HyReZ

Hello @docnich :)

You could also find some Comic Burst Explosion Brushes from here and use them with The Custom Brushes Plugin. For the white shapes on the background, underneath all those dots, you could first start with Hexagonal Grid Plugin in white. 

Remember to make your steps on a new layer, then flatten when you are done.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

10 hours ago, docnich said:

Thank you both.  Those dots were tough, but I was able to get a similar reproduction.

It is great to hear that our information was useful!

I appears that in the original design there are 3 transparent layers of translucent halftone dots that have a sequential range of sizes.
There is a Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow halftone layer. They overlap and angle ever so slightly to produce blue, green, and black dots and dot fragments.

Edited by HyReZ
  • Like 1

I've been thinking about the background....and apart from a custom plugin, I can't think of an easy way to create the layers that compose it.

YOUR MISSION: Tell me how would you create a line of filled circles that diminish in size from larger on the left to smaller on the right.

Suggestions please! 😊

@Ego Eram Reputo
Check this out!

SequentialSizeHalftoneDots.jpg

Note:
After you try this you can use the Grim Color Reaper or some similar plugin to make the white areas of the dot field transparent.

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/15595-grim-color-reaper-plugin/
You can repeat the steps to make other dot fields using a diffrent Primary color such as the cyan. magenta and yellow in the example provided by docnich.
To overlape the Halftone dot field you have to play a round with opacity/transparency of the layers
Halftone plugin that I used came from Ed Harvey's Effects Pack:
https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/18811-ed-harvey-effects-v-40-2012-02-13/

Edited by HyReZ
  • Upvote 1

For the overlapping dots, which are a closeup of a halftone image, you should download and install the Ed Harvey plugin pack. It contains two plugins you will need: Halftone and Extract Channel.

I suggest you start with an actual image. You can then choose a region that looks nice in close up after halftoning.

The following is a description of the method described by HyReZ, modified to produce a four-color halftone.

Duplicate the image into four layers.

Set the Blend Modes of all but the lowest layer to Multiply. Note: If you set the Blend Modes to Multiply, you don't need to remove the white background at the end. That's not the only reason for doing it. Multiply is the proper blend mode for "subtractive" colors, since that's what the inks actually do (more or less).

Run Extract Channel on the four image layers, selecting a different CMYK channel (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Key (Black)) for  each layer.  You might as well make the top layer Cyan, then Magenta, then, Yellow, then Key,  since that makes it easy to remember in the next step. (Supposing, like me, you're too lazy to change the layer names to C, M, Y, and K -- which is what you should do.)

Run Halftone on each layer. Before running Halftone on a layer, you'll need to change the Primary Color to the color associated with the layer. The RGB values are Cyan: (0, 255, 255), Magenta: ((255, 0, 255), Yellow (255, 255, 0), and Key: (0, 0, 0). Also, the halftones need to be rotated properly per color. According to an article on the subject, good angles are Cyan at 15°, Magenta at 75°, Yellow at 0°, Key at 45°;  with Yellow run at about 108% the frequency of the other colors, which is around 92.6% the size. The rotations are necessary if the goal is to resemble an actual halftone. The frequency/size adjustment for yellow is likely completely unnecessary for producing a close-up, like the image shown.

Flatten the image.

(I wish I didn't already have more plugins in my queue than I have time to work on them. I don't think writing a decent full-color halftone plugin would be too difficult. I'm surprised no one has done it.)

EDIT: I somehow didn't notice that HyReZ's comment already mentioned Ed Harvey's Effects. (Ed Harvey's Halftone effect is better for the purpose than TR's, which was mentioned in an earlier comment.)

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, MJW said:

EDIT: I somehow didn't notice that HyReZ's comment already mentioned Ed Harvey's Effects. (Ed Harvey's Halftone effect is better for the purpose than TR's, which was mentioned in an earlier comment.)

I also mentioned in my 1st comment to this thread; that there is a link to 'Plug in or method of generating Zip-a-Tone/Benday Dots', in additon to TR's. (It was my attempt at being thorough 🙂)
Within link is a mention and example of using an Ed Harvey's Effects for producing halftone screens.

Edited by HyReZ

I hadn't considered Halftone over a gradient - excellent idea!

Thank you both for your suggestions.

• Like 1