paint.net 4.1.7 alpha build 7079

Rick Brewster

I believe I've fixed the issues that were preventing some images from being saved (as reported earlier). I also fixed a few things in the Save Configuration dialog that were supposed to make it into alpha build 7077, but didn't because I incorrectly merged my pull request on GitHub.

The issue with the images that wouldn't save was that they had UserComment metadata in them (EXIF tag ID #37510). WIC (Windows Imaging Component) handles this in a way that my code wasn't coping with, so the data didn't round-trip correctly, and WIC decided to refuse the transaction instead. (And there was another bug: part of my wrapper was returning an error when WIC tried to send an IStream::Write() call with a 0 byte payload ... weird, probably a bug in their code, but shouldn't have broken down on my side.)

Download link: https://www.getpaint.net/files/zip/test/paint.net.4.107.7079.30132.install.zip

(I'm adding this to the auto-updater, too ...)

Change log:

• Fixed: Some images could not be saved as JPEG due to mishandling of some metadata
  • Fixed some error handling in the Save Configuration dialog. An error dialog will now pop up to show the exception that occurred in addition to the usual "Preview: (error)" text that has always been shown.
  • Fixed: HEIC/HEIF file extensions are now registered with Windows so that you can double-click on them in Explorer to open them in Paint.NET

Enjoy! :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

@fixator10 appears to be using XNView MP.

When using the "Copy image data"  command XNview MP version 0.93.1 places a DIB_V5 on the clipboard that has an incorrect HGLOBAL size (it does not include the size of the 3 BI_BITFIELDS color masks).

This also reproduces in other Qt applications (such as as Krita), so it appears to be a bug in the Qt Framework clipboard code.

Because of this Paint.NET falls back to reading a Bitmap from the clipboard.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Thank you for your reply.

I know, I recently found that out. But my request wasn't to make PDN portable, but to allow the auto updater to download and install the zip version.

2) The updater will not be enabled in this mode, and the UI for it will not be available in the Settings dialog.

But my version checks for, downloads and installs the NON-portable version. Why? Because the zip download version of PDN is outdated and I wanted to try the latest beta.  Which isn't available as a zipped portable version. The last check I made, the zip download was for v4.1.4 not the latest stable v4.1.6, hence my request. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Having trouble with @midora's Animate Plug in :(

AGIF-error.png

Crash Log:

Application version: paint.net 4.1.7 (α 4.107.7079.30132)

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Int32 PaintDotNet.Data.Quantize.PaletteTable.FindClosestPaletteIndex(System.Drawing.Color)'.
   at PropertyBasedFileTypes.ImAgifFileType.OnSaveT(Document input, Stream output, PropertyBasedSaveConfigToken token, Surface scratchSurface, ProgressEventHandler progressCallback)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Save(Document input, Stream output, SaveConfigToken token, Surface scratchSurface, ProgressEventHandler callback, Boolean rememberToken) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 353
   at PaintDotNet.Dialogs.SaveConfigDialog.<>c__DisplayClass48_0.<UpdatePreviewAsync>b__0() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Dialogs\SaveConfigDialog.cs:line 604
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at PaintDotNet.Dialogs.SaveConfigDialog.<UpdatePreviewAsync>d__48.MoveNext() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Dialogs\SaveConfigDialog.cs:line 623

Edited by toe_head2001
You had copied and pasted your sig into the post body.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

It looks like the ImAGIF plugin is going to need to be recompiled. It's using a class (PaletteTable) that's internal to Paint.NET that is being updated in 4.1.7 in a way that's incompatible with ImAGIF's use of it. You'll want to report this in that plugin's thread and make sure to get the author's attention.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg