Rotating small selections doesn't work

Hmm the problem seems to be that the rotation is pulling those corners to half-pixel (well, non-integer) offsets. That's throwing off the sampling.

If you (very carefully) move the rotation anchor to the corner of the image, and then do rotation, then things work correctly.

However, that's a lame workaround because it's very difficult to do.  It's not even clear what the correct behavior should be in this case, because what we need is pixel snapping of some kind and pretty much any decision about how that snapping should work will make things weird. I'll keep thinking about this though ...

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 3 years later...

This bug still seems to be in effect today, albeit not quite as bad as before. I'm attaching a new illustration of the current behaviour today.

I may be wrong about this, but I think this was at one point no longer a problem, then started happening again after some update.

Any hope of it getting fixed?

Untitled.png

Edited by Rory BD
clarification, added detail

44 minutes ago, Rory BD said:

This bug still seems to be in effect today, albeit not quite as bad as before. I'm attaching a new illustration of the current behaviour today.

I may be wrong about this, but I think this was at one point no longer a problem, then started happening again after some update.

Are you rotating with Shift to lock to 15° intervals?

Free rotating just few degrees lead to few transparent pixels, locked to 90°, no transparent pixels.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

sig.jpg.7f312affa740bae49243c4439bc4a244.jpg

16 hours ago, Zagna said:

Are you rotating with Shift to lock to 15° intervals?

Free rotating just few degrees lead to few transparent pixels, locked to 90°, no transparent pixels.

15 hours ago, Pixey said:

90-degs.png

I can indeed confirm that I am using shift to lock the rotation; the problem still occurs on my end.
Having tried it again just now, the selection box itself is sometimes misaligned as well, but not always. I am attaching another screenshot.

Untitled.png

Edited by Rory BD
rewording

2 hours ago, Rory BD said:

the selection box itself is sometimes misaligned as well, but not always. I am attaching another screenshot.

You must center your image first, then select it before you rotate it.  Also, are you using the latest version of paint.net?

center-and-magic-wand.png

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 2:19 PM, Pixey said:

You must center your image first, then select it before you rotate it.  Also, are you using the latest version of paint.net?

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to when you say I must, "center [my] image first," but I will note that the selection box does not appear misaligned prior to rotation. Apart from that, I am selecting it before rotating, and yes, I am using the latest version of paint.net.

Sorry for the late reply; I expected to get email notifications if I check the 'follow topic' checkbox, but this seems not to be the case.

Edited by Rory BD
Rewording, had more things to say

12 hours ago, Rory BD said:

Sorry for the late reply; I expected to get email notifications if I check the 'follow topic' checkbox, but this seems not to be the case.

You need to go to the Account Settings to do this:

1.  Click on the arrow next to your Avatar, at the top of the page.

2. Profile > Account Settings > Notifications Settings.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

On 10/31/2022 at 6:52 PM, Rory BD said:

Untitled.png

On 11/1/2022 at 2:19 PM, Pixey said:

I've figured out the problem; it's because of the selection quality. You can set it to 'Pixelated' to stop it from going funky:

1197842622_Screenshot2022-11-20154917.png.15b0a2d533d7801a5fbbf64a8308005f.png

I would like to note that even with this fix, the selection goes from being 4x3 to being 4x4 pixels after rotation; I'm not sure why and I don't think it's really an issue, but I thought I'd bring it up and attach an image of it nonetheless.
Untitled.png.9853d7c3dbec160360d7d15205672055.png
Thank you all!

Edited by Rory BD
Clarification