Want to get rid of shades

Want to create clear picture without shades. Example in the pictures attached. Posterized it but still could not get rid of shades. Is there any other way? Cannot do manually because what shown is only a tiny part of a large image. Just want to reduce the number of colours from shades to Black, White, Blue, Yellow, Red, Dark Grey and Light Grey. 7 seven colours only.

U3.png

Welcome @Simon T to the forum.

To be honest, I don't understand your question.  Do you mean you want to get rid of the rough edge on the yellow stripe?  All the colors you mention are shades.  Sorry for my confusion 😉

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

What you term as shades is due to the use of anti-aliasing. I usually turn off the feature when I create a graphic work. I will try to help you in testing means of limiting the color count of your image. I isolated your image from unrelated areas of the screen capture. After this I got a color count of 17423. To get it down to seven will be a work out. 🙂

@Pixey
Technically  some of the 7 colors are hues. A shade means that you have added black to a hue, a tint is when you add white to a hue, and a tone is when you add gray (black + white) to a hue.

Edited by HyReZ

Hi @Simon T

Welcome to the Forum :)

Reducing the pic to 7 colors can easily be done with

Suggested Steps to take;

Duplicate layer

Reduce colors with Color Reducer on top layer

Turn off anti-aliasing

Select each color with color wand then move the selection into a new layer and fill with selected color, resulting in 7 new layers.

Get the idea?

When you fill each selection on a new layer with a specific color you will see the anti-aliasing has been removed.

When viewing the layers together, you should see crisp lines separating areas.

Minor adjustments may be necessary.

Lets see what our other members suggest  :)

They are being written as I type.

After 15 minutes

B9rkJb.png

Edited by AndrewDavid
Added example

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

Surface Blur may do the trick: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/EffectsBlursMenu.html#12

This effect is used to reduce soft details or noise in an image while retaining most edge details and contrast. The result is a cleaner, simplified version of the original.

22 hours ago, Pixey said:

Welcome @Simon T to the forum.

To be honest, I don't understand your question.  Do you mean you want to get rid of the rough edge on the yellow stripe?  All the colors you mention are shades.  Sorry for my confusion 😉

Hi, Thanks. My meaning of shades is that a colour that is different from colours around it. Meaning that you could notice a lot of colours or shades occupy between the blue and yellow. All I require is (in my case), Yellow on the left and Blue on the right. I have attached png file for your understanding.

1234.png

22 hours ago, HyReZ said:

What you term as shades is due to the use of anti-aliasing. I usually turn off the feature when I create a graphic work. I will try to help you in testing means of limiting the color count of your image. I isolated your image from unrelated areas of the screen capture. After this I got a color count of 17423. To get it down to seven will be a work out. 🙂

@Pixey
Technically  some of the 7 colors are hues. A shade means that you have added black to a hue, a tint is when you add white to a hue, and a tone is when you add gray (black + white) to a hue.

HyRez, Thanks. You have understood what I was trying to say. I too get over 17K colours. I used to use the software SEWART32. In which I could reduce to 256 colours and work from it but it usually takes about few weeks for complex images. Initially, I did not mind but as I keep on repeating the procedure, I have lost interest in it. I need to reduce the number of colours to 7 to keep my embroidery simple and keep the cost down. SEWART32 programme used to provide colour merge and despeckle. I can set a threshold and whichever shades or colour fall out of the threshold will be erased or ignored. Anyway, I have attached a png file for your reference.

1234.png