Fill In Choppy Line

In the attached simple dog drawing, the lines are a little "choppy" - what is the best method to make those lines fully black? The magic wand does great just highlighting those lines, but then if I try to just do a fill color, it makes the fill color choppy also, maybe because there is white inside the choppiness. Are there one or more easy ways to do this for a perfectly black solid line?

dog black.png

I would try this:

1.  Duplicate the original dog outlines and merge down 2 -3 times.

2.  On a new layer switch to the line/curve tool :LineTool: - I used size #8 brush and changed the style to rounded.

3.  Go over the lines as needed.

Dog.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Duplicate your dog and then Merge it down, and do those steps again.  Every time you duplicate something, it will get darker.

merge-dog.png

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

OK I have tried different variations of what you have suggested, no idea how to make it darker. I open the file, then not sure what steps are next. Make my owner layer. That Merge Layer Down command is greyed out unless I do something first. Not sure if I should duplicate layers. So much appreciated if you say the steps.

2019-01-12_1144

Edited by derekmhart

Thank you MJW. Great feature.

Thank you Pixey for going so out of your way to make the video. Much appreciated. I am unclear why the multiple layers might have been necessary. I did not see anything darken with the exact replicas on top of each other. Am I missing something?

@derekmhart I tried it again and I see what you mean.  This is possibly due to the fact that it's pretty much fully saturated.  It's mostly noticeable on lighter lines.  What you can do, however, is on the duplicated layer, change the mode to Multiply, then merge.

30b8T8B.gif

I copied your dog image and looked at its properties. It is a 348px x 473px PNG with an 8bit color depth. The images is not true black & white, and is fact a gray-scale image due to anti-aliasing. If you zoom into the image at  800% you can see the gray-scale. This will help when trying to make the 'choppy' parts more solid. There are several was to accomplish this.

Stacking layers will increase the density of the partially transparent pixels of the anti-aliasing.

@Pixey

Just stacking gray-scaled layers will not work. Stacking 20% gray upon 20% gray is still gray. You missed the step of using the 'Black+Alpha' plugin to remove all tints (traces of white) form your gray-scale image. After that you would need to stack ~6 layers to get all densities to appear black.

Another way is to use the Adjustment/Curves plugin and click on the center point of the diagonal and drag that point to lower right corner of the graph to set the contrast of all gray-scale pixels to black.

You can use the Adjustment/Brightness / Contrast levels to achieve the same effect.

Now you can zoom in and with your brush, line and/or pencil tool; fill in the weak spots.

Edited by HyReZ
inserting additional information

• 1 year later...

Umm, you can't just claim copyright on something posted by someone else over a year ago.

Unless you provide something to back up your claim, I'm going to have to assume you're a robo-spammer and thus have to ban you.

Edit: see below

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg