Converting old black and white photos to color?

I know turning black and white photos to color has been mentioned before, but they are for photos that are rather recent. I need to color a photo that is older; in this case, 1909 - 1912

If you know what happened in that time span, good job, but if you don't, here is one of the pictures I need to color.

Titanic-BW.gif

Titanic. I'd like to try and get a color Image of the Titanic.

1 hour ago, RMSTITANIC said:

eerrgh...

That isn't even close to real colors.

Not cool. Dipstick took the time to colorize the image you supplied and all you can do is diss the man because the colors are wrong? I'm sure he would have explained how he did it too. I doubt it after that reply.

Do you never say please or thank you?

• Like 1

The way I see it, you have three options. Use a colorize computer algorithm like I did in my post. Paint it yourself like welsh's excellent example. Send your picture out the the (fictional) show CSI to see if they can do it with their super powerful computer. :lol:

Edited by dipstick

69unju0.gif

Color's aren't really right. I have a palette of more accurate colors. 

White Star Buff, which is the pinkish - sort of orange colored one, is still one I'm working on. The color in the palette is still something I am working on.  No formula survives to this day, and only one color photo of one of the White Star Ships has been captured back in those days - A rare color photo of the Mauritania from Cunard Line in a floating dry dock. The Titanic's sister ship, the Olympic is in the background. All that is visible is the funnels.  Anyway, back on topic. 

The Palette is my source.

Capture.PNG

• Upvote 1

No.

It's not copy righted. It's just that no one knows what it's true color is! No formula has survived to this day. So we can't really copyright it if we don't know it's true color.

we should get back on topic

Edited by RMSTITANIC
Get back on topic?

• 2 years later...
On 12/22/2017 at 12:16 AM, RMSTITANIC said:

It's just that no one knows what it's true color is! No formula has survived to this day. So we can't really copyright it if we don't know it's true color.

That is true, however, if you play around with the hex of buff (#f0dc82) and look around at references, we can get as close as we can to the true colour (I am British so I say colour, not color), for now, we will just have to wait until an official hex/colour is released to the public. Also, I don't think anyone can really copyright it, it's a colour. As well as White Star Line is long gone now, 86 years to be precise.