Edit an image by color

thanks IRON67, you are so helpfull

I know. And you are so lazy.

Here the most obvious candidates (there's a reason, why you can find descriptions of the plugins in Plugin Packs and  Plugin Index)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=106104

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=32423

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=10729

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=7767

...not to mention the use of the magic wand tool   :MagicWandTool:  in the flood mode Global

Edited by IRON67

Yeah, IRON, searching by the thread title doesn't yield any helpful results.  Your second response was much more useful.   :)

Welcome to the forum, Donal!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Yeah, IRON, searching by the thread title doesn't yield any helpful results.

Who would search this strange way? Why there are keywords?

I am now over 20 years active on the Internet and there were times when it really was not so easy to find information quickly. But today, it should be reasonable even for a novice to use internal search functions and common sense. There must be allowed to point out, without being immediately criticized.
Edited by IRON67

many thanks for your help Iron

unfortunately I have been twenty or thirty years active before the internet, so forgive my fuzzyness, you will get there in time

with your help I now know what a plugin is and have downloaded a pack which I think may help

I also need to look a some tutorials 

But if you know a simple way to edit an image by color I would be great full if you could trow a couple of sentences up here

I have a black and white image which I want to print on a black material

So my thinking is if I remove the black color from the image and only print the white color it should be grand

Kind Regards

Who would search this strange way? Why there are keywords?

I am now over 20 years active on the Internet and there were times when it really was not so easy to find information quickly. But today, it should be reasonable even for a novice to use internal search functions and common sense. There must be allowed to point out, without being immediately criticized.

It would make sense to search for "edit image by color" for this question.  That search term doesn't bring up any helpful results.

Either way, please be a little kinder to new users.  Your response, though probably unintentional, could be seen as rude.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

... could be seen as rude.

I like to help and also detail help if the author reveals a minimum level of co-operation and consideration or if the issue is so complex that it can not be answered with three sentences.

This was not the case here. The question was very vague, without precedent and without apparent own contribution. If I acquire my knowledge in this way, I would have to practice for the DOS prompt today.

Calling a related note "rude" is exaggerated. If I'm rude (which rarely happens), then it is recognizable beyond any doubt.

EOD
Edited by IRON67

I like to help and also detail help if the author reveals a minimum level of co-operation and consideration or if the issue is so complex that it can not be answered with three sentences.

This was not the case here. The question was very vague, without precedent and without apparent own contribution. If I acquire my knowledge in this way, I would have to practice for the DOS prompt today.

Calling a related note "rude" is exaggerated. If I'm rude (which rarely happens), then it is recognizable beyond any doubt.

EOD

It is most certainly not EOD.  I'm taking this conversation to PM.

• Upvote 1

You are, by dictionary definition, being rude here, under the first definition given, by expressing an impolite concept in an intentional way.

Hopefully there won't be any confusion in the future :)

This portion of the conversation is now being held in private (via PM). I'm going to draw a line under it and ask that further comments be taken elsewhere (either PM or a new thread in the GToE section ).

Please consider the subject off-topic where this thread is concerned.

many thanks for your help Iron

unfortunately I have been twenty or thirty years active before the internet...

Me too. I was 26 when I had my first encounter with the Internet.

I have a black and white image which I want to print on a black material

So my thinking is if I remove the black color from the image and only print the white color

As said before: Use the magic wand tool to mark all black pixels, delete this selection and make the parts transparent. Save it as PNG (because PNG supports Alpha-Channel and transparency).

Or use a plugin that makes that for you like "Brightness/ Darkness to Alpha" by Mike Ryan. Take out there the mark in the Checkbox so White stay white and Black will be transparent.

This tip you had been get in my first answer, if you had described your problem accurately. And I would have a penalty point less for "rudeness".
Edited by IRON67

Not a problem Donal. Welcome to the forum :D

• Upvote 1

If you want to turn one color transparent and preserve another color, you might like these plugins :

Two Tone Threshold : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/29450-two-tone-threshold-new-30th-july-2014/

The Alpha Mask Plugin : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/1854-alpha-mask-import-plugin-20/

Be sure to save as PNG to keep transparency.