Forum Suggestion: Pictorium Dedicated Section

Update - It's happening! There's an open forum where you can add your input to help it get set up right the first time. You can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22210

Can we please have a dedicated pictorium section rather than just a thread? If that was the case we could easily post images, find them, and comment on them not to mention polls for quality of image.

KaHuc.png

Can we please have a dedicated pictorium forum rather than just a thread? If that was the case we could easily post images, find them, and comment on them not to mention polls for quality of image.

I second this, but I caution not to organize it to death.

This board's main purpose is Paint.NET discussion, troubleshooting, etc. Not showcasing stuff made with Paint.NET.

I thought that because this forum had a plugin section and a tutorial section and it seemed that a popular way people use this forum is to share images. And it seems a bit disorganised for this all to be in one thread when people often want to comment on them.

Edit: It would also easily allow people to easily supply the PDN file if they wish as it's very easy to find an image host but not so easy to find a file host.

KaHuc.png

I too would like to see this, but why no polls? it could have that rule along with overflow, actually It could be put into over flow...

Another Idea users could create a single topic for their own artwork... (just one)

That's what I meant - a dedicated forum so that there can be one thread per image.

KaHuc.png

That's what I meant - a dedicated forum so that there can be one thread per image.

I think per image may be a little excessive. One per author would do just fine in my opinion.

Why would it be exessive? With a thread per image users could easily comment on a picture - like is done with plugins and tutorials.

KaHuc.png

There would have to be some sort of quality over quantity limit then. Like, no more than 6 or so images per week or something. Otherwise we'd have 50 threads in 20 minutes for a bunch of 45 second projects. >_>

I agree, although the limit should be per-member otherwise someone might wait ages for the chance to post their picture.

KaHuc.png

Sometimes, I agree - but why not for how good a picture is?

In my opinion, having pre-set responses for image rating is a cop-out, both for the image creator and the reviewer. Real criticism takes review. Constructive criticism is very difficult to convey with a Yes-Okay-Meh-Bad-Terrible response pool.

For instance, what if an image is otherwise excellent, but uses a horridly inappropriate font style and color - what option would fit? The image itself isn't terrible, but the font choice ruins it. A poll response of "Bad" says a heck of a lot less than "Your background image is amazing, but dang, you need a serious change of font. Can I suggest Futurist Fixed Width in white? It would fit with the overall style and theme of the image, and wouldn't give me a headache anymore." I find that when constructive criticism is the only option, the responses are fewer, but the information therein is far more meaningful.

Also, it'd be a pain to standardize. One image uses the Yes-Okay-Meh-Bad-Terrible scale, where the other uses Great-Good-Plain-Bad-Eyesore scale, where the next uses You're Awesome-You Rock-You're my Favorite-I Love You-Marry Me scale. Not to mention this would require a new thread for every image. Rather obnoxious, in my opinion.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

This has been requested so many times in the past. I made a poll about it in Feburary/March of last year (it was like 60% for and 40% against), but Rick didn't want to. He says to register to deviantART and post your stuff there. At the time I didn't agree, but now I see his point. dA is a much better place for posting art. You get better critisizm and hundreds of people get to see your artwork (more than the 30 PDN users we have here). It only takes 3 minutes to register, and so worth it! Because of my registering to dA, I'm getting in a magazine for making a cursor pack there (what? I had to bring it up!)

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

You know what would be a massive improvement? Having the current Pictorium moved to its own sub-forum, like the Rules is at the moment. Not restarted, not moved to a whole new forum, not having it so new topics can be created in abundance, just moved to its own section. This would make it immensely easier to search as you could then specify the Pictorium as the sole location to search, making it far simpler to look for previous works.

Other than this, I'm happy the way things are. The current Pictorium isn't stopping people from posting... but I don't post much there, so I'm not the best example.

I do apologise if someone has suggested this before, I've given up reading these discussions to be honest, though I feel it to be a good compromise/workaround.

just moved to its own section.

What do you mean?

Like the Rules are. They are still the same, but moved into its own section.

In fact, try this: click Search at the top. Go on. It won't bite like newbies think it will.

Now look at the 'search in forums' section, see that the Forum Rules are there? That's because its in its own subforum, its own little section. Now, imagine if the Pictorium was the same, simply moved to a new section; nothing more. You could then search the Pictorium like any other part of the forum, but without all the results you don't need.

For example, I was searching for a certain wallpaper by CMD the other day. I could only search for posts written by CMD in the GD&Q, and sufficed to say, it took me a while to sift through them for the Pictorium-specific posts; this would have been made easier if the Pictorium was in the same situation as the Rules are. See?

This would benefit a lot of people and may appease some.