Monthly Skinning Competition Discussion -- #6 is over.

#6 theme?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. #6 theme?

• Winamp
    • Desktop Widget (Yahoo clock)
    • Cursor Pack
    • Browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari)
    • Paint.NET forum
    • deviantART
    • Wikipedia
    • Car
    • deviantID (deviantART)

Go make a web browser!

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Also, Myrrdin waned to explain his secret vote...

It's funny you should mention that as it was you who my vote was for.

'Why?' I hear you ask. Well, yours Stephan was the only entry not to include the command labelled 'Start'; as the task was to modify an existing OS or create your own, I chose the only entry which didn't take the route of an obvious Microsoft modification. I felt there would have been more thought put into the design if the participant didn't use something which was essentially 'done' for them, therefore a complete new OS look.

I don't wish to belittle the other entrant's designs or efforts as they were all great, but Stephan's was the one that stuck out for this reason.

To keep this post reasonably on-topic, I chose deviantID and deviantART.

Methinks the Forum and dA...

That for me likewise. ;)

Please! More votes! :roll:

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Well... Skinning gets used... very broadly. Creating new things (mostly interfaces, or things that belong to them) is also a part, but as you saw in MSC #5 most people "skinned" Windows. ( I didn't... )

I have one thing to say though. How can you skin a dA ID? I mean, it dosen't make much sense, really..........

People skin all kinds of websites using an extension called "Stylish" for Firefox.

Here's one

I know that, I mean, what's the point of "skinning" a dA ID? I mean, we can just create one, it isn't really taking the defintion of "skinning" seriously.

Wow, Browser shoots ahead at the last minute to take the win!

@ The newest submission in the official submission thread: Do not just color/recolor. That requires no skill whatsoever.

Previews of mine, previously only seen 0n the chat:

browserfo2.jpg

The top, with basic buttons and a color theme chooser.

tabssu0.jpg

Tabs.

Looks good, if i would have to choose right now, it'd definetly be yours, Mike... :D

However, i don't have to, my submission is due tomorrow or the 24th... We'll see, although i've given away quite a lot by posting:

This:

browserfo2.jpg

And this:

tabssu0.jpg

NOTE: These are not recent... I updated them already, but i'm not gonna show you just because i'm too awesome.

publicity post>

Okay, this has illuded me too long: where do the browser icons come from that people are using so readily?

For instance, sorry Mike.Ryan52, your entry was the first at hand, nothing against you or it, but see here, the Home, Refresh... icons he uses; many other people are using them too yet giving no credit, is there a reason for it?

th_SmallWebBrowser.png

I see them in TheVoid's and thehamster's entries alike, and I swear blind I've seen them elsewhere as well.

yours is much more creative, Stephan. Just like the Operating System comptetition, you manage to defy what it is that makes a web browser what it is. Reminds me a bit of an article about how new user interfaces will keep computers alive thought

Thanks :D However, i can't really say my submission in MSC #5 was very innovating... Compared to the rest, which were all "Just" Windows skins, okay... But other then that, it really didn't contain any more then the other submissions did, also, ironically enough, the browser sucked! :lol:

@Myrddin: They come from the Microsoft Font "Webdings" I personally hate to use them in their natural shape, but editing them makes some great results. For example, I used the house aswell for the "Home" button (See, not very innovative, huh?) But edited it.