Suggestion: Scroll wheel zooming

1. When I use the scroll whel to zoom, it seems to take the scroll wheel acceleration in and round it strictly to the nearest 1%. Since the slowest I can go is around 12% a detent, this makes it hard to get back to 100% without fooling around in the toolbars and such. What would be nice would be to work mouse-wheel zooming like IE7, where each detent moves you 10% (with variations from acceleration).

2. Why use the scroll wheel for vertical scrolling with a program that more often has scrolling horizontally than vertically, and zooming is the most natural wheel action? The best approach here is like that used in Microsoft Expession Graphic Designer, where the wheel with no modifiers zooms, ctrl-wheel scrolls vertically, and shift-wheel scrolls horizontally. Also (until the addition of Guides) the rulers were used as scrollbars, reducing unnecessary clutter.

Ctrl+Shift+A is a convenient, one-hand-only shortcut key to reset to 100%.

... with a program that more often has scrolling horizontally than vertically...

The convention is that the mouse wheel scrolls up and down, and that modifier keys change that.

Zooming with no modifier key is maybe appropriate for image viewers, where scrolling is not a common activity. For the most part, I don't think it's appropriate to change what the mouse wheel does because then you get mixed up when switching among programs. For example, if I made Ctrl+Mouse Wheel the "scroll up/down" command, then half the time whenever you switched over to IE7 or Firefox you'd start zooming the page and it would be extremely annoying.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

... with a program that more often has scrolling horizontally than vertically...

The convention is that the mouse wheel scrolls up and down, and that modifier keys change that.

Zooming with no modifier key is maybe appropriate for image viewers, where scrolling is not a common activity. For the most part, I don't think it's appropriate to change what the mouse wheel does because then you get mixed up when switching among programs. For example, if I made Ctrl+Mouse Wheel the "scroll up/down" command, then half the time whenever you switched over to IE7 or Firefox you'd start zooming the page and it would be extremely annoying.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I'd like to second the vote for #1.

I tend to zoom in a lot to fix small details and then zoom back to 100% to see what it looks like. I end up zooming back to somewhere between 95-107%, but not 100%. This puts any text in the image out of whack and I find it extremely annoying.

Deb

(Love the program in general though.)

time-smaller.png

I'd like to second the vote for #1.

I tend to zoom in a lot to fix small details and then zoom back to 100% to see what it looks like. I end up zooming back to somewhere between 95-107%, but not 100%. This puts any text in the image out of whack and I find it extremely annoying.

Deb

(Love the program in general though.)

time-smaller.png

May I suggest few UI improvements, useful for images larger than screen:

#a) Mouse wheel scrolls horizontally when mouse pointer is held over horizontal scroll bar (Opera internet browser works like that).

#B) Ctrl+Mouse wheel click zooms to 100%, moving the mouse aiming point into the center of screen.

#c) Hold down mouse wheel to pan image (I really miss panning).

#d) F11 toggle full screen view (I really miss full screen view).

Hope it makes sense :)

May I suggest few UI improvements, useful for images larger than screen:

#a) Mouse wheel scrolls horizontally when mouse pointer is held over horizontal scroll bar (Opera internet browser works like that).

#B) Ctrl+Mouse wheel click zooms to 100%, moving the mouse aiming point into the center of screen.

#c) Hold down mouse wheel to pan image (I really miss panning).

#d) F11 toggle full screen view (I really miss full screen view).

Hope it makes sense :)

I think Rick is right. Dont change the way the mouse wheel works as for shortcut keys. But if something could bee done about ending up at uneven sizes it might bee good.

Well, but I am happy with the way things are.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

I think Rick is right. Dont change the way the mouse wheel works as for shortcut keys. But if something could bee done about ending up at uneven sizes it might bee good.

Well, but I am happy with the way things are.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

My suggestion in order to solve this zoom problem:

When the spyglass i selected then the zoom using the mouse's scroll button should be activated after the first time the user click on the left button on the mouse !

That shouldn't be hard to implement (like i know what i'm talking about !!!)

^ I'm not fond of this idea.

More on an 'ideologic' basis. Changing behavior if you have this or this tool selected ... :/

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

^ I'm not fond of this idea.

More on an 'ideologic' basis. Changing behavior if you have this or this tool selected ... :/

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

The one thing I absolutely hate about CorelDraw is that the scroll wheel is tied to zoom and can't be reassigned to scroll up and down.

I see your point and have two solutions for solving this issue:

1. make it so that pushing the mouse wheel down while dragging the mouse forward/backward will make it scroll - ie. like it would do in a Word document or on a webpage (not the optimum solution)

2. right click and then select the behavior you want from a the context menu which will appear - ie.:

- enable scroll wheel on first mouse click.

or

- enable scroll when scroll wheel is pushed while moving the mouse forward/backward.

Implementing this should make just about everyone happy (i hope ! )