Acrobat Reader DC become Paint.Net icon in Windows 10 startmenu

Arti

Hello everyone,

on my 64bit windows 10 pro PC is the Acrobat Reader DC icon on the start menu and all is good. One or two days later has the Acrobat Reader the Icon from Paint.Net. Any idea? There are no options to fix the Acrobat Reader shortcut. The iconcache is rebuild but nothing changed. When I uninstall the Acrobat Reader and then new install, all is fine for a few days.

post-143566-0-11430500-1446867278_thumb.

Edited by Arti

Why not fix the larger issue, and completely remove the adware/spyware that is Adobe Reader DC. SumatraPDF offers software freedom, and doesn't have ads or spying components.

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Agree, try removing the Adobe Reader program and delete that invalid shortcut from your Start Menu.

You can then go to C:\Program Files\paint.net then right click the PaintDotNet.exe and Pin to Start. Alternately, you can choose Send to>>Desktop. That will create a new shortcut.

Are you saying that Acrobat Reader DC is not needed and is adware/spyware ? I have windows 7 and recently downloaded the reader update which installed the DC version also. I have no problems yet but also don't want any in the future. If it is not needed then I will uninstall it before I do start having problems. 

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Are you saying that Acrobat Reader DC is not needed and is adware/spyware ? I have windows 7 and recently downloaded the reader update which installed the DC version also. I have no problems yet but also don't want any in the future. If it is not needed then I will uninstall it before I do start having problems. 

Free Adobe products like that tend to install extra components that are not needed. There are other free alternatives to a PDF reader. I personally use Foxit but even with that I always choose the "Custom" settings when installing so that I can uncheck the installation of toolbars and other adware that usually come bundled with free software. I also use the free program called Revo Uninstaller to uninstall programs because it detects a lot orphaned components that it removes along with the program that its associated with.

By default, even Windows 10 has got dodgy means of spying on you that you have to disable manually.

Edited by Ishi

Thanks Ishi, I only download any Adobe from their site and also use custom install so as to shut off all the extras. Windows 10 kind of scares me, all kinds of bad things and problems.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Did you know Firefox can read PDF files? It opens them in a new tab. Simple and easy. Especially since most of the PDFs I view are found online.

When I found this out I was thrilled. No more nagging Adobe updates for me.

Did you know Firefox can read PDF files?

Chrome, too.

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.