I need advice on how to use Paint.net to create anatomy flashcards

Hello guys and thanks for reading,

I have been using paint.net recently for creating anatomy flashcards, but the problem is the method I-m using right now takes a long time and I was wondering if there was an easier way of doing this.

What I do is I first try selecting the anatomical structure (For example the deltoids muscle) with the magic wand tool and adjusting the tolerance, but this sometimes makes it really frustrating because even using the magic wand with low tolerance selects big swats of the picture, so I have to use really low tolerance levels multiple times to select just one anatomical part and then I use the paint brush to darken with a color the muscle or whatever I have selected with the darken setting.

So what would you guys advice me to do? Is there a faster and easier way of doing this?

Thanks in advance,

-Macciavelo

You could add a new layer with the blend mode set to multiply, then use the line tool to outline what you wish to darken and fill in the area with the paint bucket

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Hello  Macciavelo - welcome to the forum!

A link to your original anatomy picture may help (if 'family friendly').
Personally I would use the 'lasso select' tool to roughly cut out the required muscle and paste this into a new layer.
Then select the background, invert the selection and then use the wand in subtract mode to nibble away the bits you don't want.

This method may be easier if you create a coloured layer between your background and muscle object layers to clearly see what you've got.
Even using lasso or eraser to delete small areas is a useful technique when there is no obvious colour/tone difference between what you want to stay and what needs to go.

Pdnnoob has ninja'd me! ;)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Do you wish to isolate the muscle group(s) (say one per card) or are you trying to apply a highlight?

If you wish to highlight - you may want to consider this...

1. Open the image

2. Duplicate the layer :DuplicateLayer: or Ctrl + Shift + D

3. With the upper layer active, apply Adjustments > Black & White (Ctrl + Shift + G)

4. Use the Eraser :EraserTool: on the upper layer to erase the deltoid muscle.

yhsjjie_86.png

5. Flatten (Ctrl + Shift + F) and File > Save As....

This is a quick and simple technique which should save you time. It also keeps the other muscles visible as a reference.

If you 'undo' until the erasing from step 4 is completely removed, you can then erase a different area of muscle using the same two base layers.

• Upvote 4

Do you wish to isolate the muscle group(s) (say one per card) or are you trying to apply a highlight?

If you wish to highlight - you may want to consider this...

1. Open the image

2. Duplicate the layer :DuplicateLayer: or Ctrl + Shift + D

3. With the upper layer active, apply Adjustments > Black & White (Ctrl + Shift + G)

4. Use the Eraser :EraserTool: on the upper layer to erase the deltoid muscle.

yhsjjie_86.png

5. Flatten (Ctrl + Shift + F) and File > Save As....

This is a quick and simple technique which should save you time. It also keeps the other muscles visible as a reference.

If you 'undo' until the erasing from step 4 is completely removed, you can then erase a different area of muscle using the same two base layers.

This is amazing. Thank you!

You're welcome Macciavelo. I'm glad I could help a fellow anatomist.