Animated Images

midora

21 hours ago, null54 said:

I was able to save the full size image using the default settings, what settings are you using?

When trying to save at 1024 x 1024 it was at default settings.

I just tried again at that size and no dice.  So, I cut off 200 pixels from the height, used default settings again and it worked fine, but it took about 3 mins.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

In my case I was opening existing file and I guess that either number of layers or layers' buffer has been overflown, or just plug-in's working memory. I'm afraid that this can be clarified only by debugging this case. I can send a link to my file if needed.

3 hours ago, Pixey said:

I took a look at this in an online viewer and this is way too complicated for Midora's Plugin 😵

It loads fine for me, but with 1518 frames it takes a while.

• You're a Smart Cookie! 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

32 minutes ago, null54 said:

It loads fine for me, but with 1518 frames it takes a while.

@null54 You must have an exceptional computer as it crashes mine 😜

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

16 hours ago, Pixey said:

@AlexY I took a look at this in an online viewer and this is way too complicated for Midora's Plugin 😵

Yep. I've captured a video clip, converted it to animated GIF and then I wanted to edit it in PDN. Given @null54 experience the issue is in memory management. I agree that it's an exceptional workload for PDN.

4 hours ago, AlexY said:

Interesting. I wonder, how large RAM do you have on your system?

I have 32 GB of RAM, that image takes 11 GB when loaded into PDN.

4 hours ago, AlexY said:

the issue is in memory management. I agree that it's an exceptional workload for PDN.

The part I do not understand is, if issue is lack of memory why does the crash information have an access violation and not an out of memory error.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

2 hours ago, null54 said:

I have 32 GB of RAM, that image takes 11 GB when loaded into PDN.

The part I do not understand is, if issue is lack of memory why does the crash information have an access violation and not an out of memory error.

I see, mine has only 16 Gb now. Based on similar issues on StackOverflow:
"The problem may be due to mixed build platforms DLLs in the project. i.e You build your project to Any CPU but have some DLLs in the project already built for x86 platform. These will cause random crashes because of different memory mapping of 32bit and 64bit architecture. If all the DLLs are built for one platform the problem can be solved."

59 minutes ago, AlexY said:

Based on similar issues on StackOverflow:
"The problem may be due to mixed build platforms DLLs in the project. i.e You build your project to Any CPU but have some DLLs in the project already built for x86 platform. These will cause random crashes because of different memory mapping of 32bit and 64bit architecture. If all the DLLs are built for one platform the problem can be solved."

That issue is not relevant in this case, the animated GIF DLL is built with AnyCPU.

I ran into the access violation crash when running the plugin in Release mode, changing the code to use a Paint.NET Surface when loading the image appears to have fixed the issue for me.

No idea why that works, but it does.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

I have attached the test build that I mentioned in my previous post.

This should hopefully fix the crash that @DragonFox and @Pixey are seeing when saving a 1024x1024 pixel file.

If it works I will submit the changes to Rick for inclusion in a new build.

This build has been superseded by the one in the following post: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/31629-animated-images/?do=findComment&comment=579403

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • You're a Smart Cookie! 1

PdnSig.png

On 12/30/2020 at 2:40 AM, null54 said:

This should hopefully fix the crash that @DragonFox and @Pixey are seeing when saving a 1024x1024 pixel file.

If it works I will submit the changes to Rick for inclusion in a new build.

ImAGIF.FileType v0.13.1.zip 448.61 kB · 3 downloads

Thank you and Happy New Year! It worked for me as well. Just wonder if it should look like that - 1518 frames and almost empty layers?

PDN Screenshot 2021-01-01 234406 small.jpg

2 minutes ago, AlexY said:

Just wonder if it should look like that - 1518 frames and almost empty layers?

No, that is a bug I will have to investigate.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

On 12/29/2020 at 7:40 PM, null54 said:

Thank you for the new build @null54 I haven't tried it out yet, but will do 👍

30b8T8B.gif

@AlexY

I fixed that bug, a new build is attached.

This build has been superseded by the one in the following post: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/31629-animated-images/?do=findComment&comment=579462

@Pixey

The previous version has a bug when loading GIF frames, use this build instead.

• Thanks 1

PdnSig.png

6 minutes ago, AlexY said:

And way more memory effective based on Task Manager data.

Interesting, in my tests it looked like both versions were using a similar amount of memory.

It is more memory efficient as it converts the frames to a Paint.NET layer without needing to copy the pixel data.

PdnSig.png

1 hour ago, null54 said:

Interesting, in my tests it looked like both versions were using a similar amount of memory.

It is more memory efficient as it converts the frames to a Paint.NET layer without needing to copy the pixel data.

Yep, it looks like an answer because you don't need to allocate memory for copying. Previously I observed a spike of memory usage and then decline, which is perfectly explained now,

But there is another problem - operation under layers selection are not working.
Steps to repro:

1. Select several layers from animated GIF (II was working with my file).
2, Try to execute any layers command over selection. (I tried delete and merge down).

3. The operation is executed only on focused layer.

2 hours ago, null54 said:

And there is a lot of room for optimization on Save operation.🤔

PDN Screenshot 2021-01-03 010554 small.jpg

1 hour ago, AlexY said:

But there is another problem - operation under layers selection are not working.

That would be a paint.net issue.

1 hour ago, AlexY said:

And there is a lot of room for optimization on Save operation.🤔

The animated GIF saving code is a lot more complex than the loading code, but I will take a look at it.

PdnSig.png

@null54 It works like a dream - thank you 🍺  Can you alert the person/s who can change, and add this new version to the first page please 🥳

30b8T8B.gif