Motto Text For Heraldic Type Crest

Good morning all!  First post here so please be gentle :)

I am trying to place some text in the banner area as per the escutcheon shape below (Second Air Force) but can't seem to get the right tool for the job.  I have tried circle text mostly but that doesn't place the text in the correct path as required.

SECOND_AIR_FORCE_-_1956-1993.jpg

Any suggestions as to what tool(s) I could use?

Edited by madras seersucker

Welcome to the forum madras seersucker :D

I think layers might be your best friend here. If you write the text mostly likely one letter at a time on separate layers, then you can fine tune their placement & merge them down.

Others may have a different idea. Good luck & please do post your complete outcome. 

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

@dpy has a number of text formation plugins in that plugin pack.  Circle text is only one of them.  Try Rotate Text or Wave Text to see if these will get closer to the desired shape.

@dpy has a number of text formation plugins in that plugin pack.  Circle text is only one of them.  Try Rotate Text or Wave Text to see if these will get closer to the desired shape.

Hi- Did have a look at those as well a while back, again not what I want unfortunately.  Is there a plugin that text will follow a path a bit like the tool in 3DS max? :)

I think layers might be your best friend here. If you write the text mostly likely one letter at a time on separate layers, then you can fine tune their placement & merge them down.

Others may have a different idea. Good luck & please do post your complete outcome. 

Hi-  Hmmm...

If no other (easier) method this could work :)

Rotate text should work.  Do it in chunks of three or four consecutive characters.  Each chunk to their own layer. Add new layer, add the next few characters....

I suspect you're trying to do it in one go.  That will be very difficult to get the text to follow such a complex path.  Split the text up and it should become much easier.

Rotate text should work.  Do it in chunks of three or four consecutive characters.  Each chunk to their own layer. Add new layer, add the next few characters....

I don't actually use that plugin, it spits up an error about a commercial font I don't have installed and there doesn't seem to be a way to set it to another font so I got rid.  

I know paint.net is fairly good but basic,

Completely untrue.  Paint.net is GREAT and incredibly sophisticated.

Less than 2 minutes work with Rotate Text.  Two three character strings....

yhsjjie-581.png

I don't actually use that plugin, it spits up an error about a commercial font I don't have installed and there doesn't seem to be a way to set it to another font so I got rid.

The font is incompatible with the plugin. That's all. Simply choose another font from the drop down list titled "Font"

It's literally just a rotary text problem.

Just write the text you need then use the right mouse button to rotate to the correct angle.

Aside from that, I'd also recommend a higher-resolution image of the logo as it will be much easier to play around with.

Was the double posting an attempt to bump the question by any chance? Even if they were 3 minutes apart...