Bugs galore in the 4.0 update for me!

So after updating Paint.net to version 4.0, I ran into a whole lot of bugs making the program basically unusable.

I created a small gif showing what happened: http://gyazo.com/463c3eaa849ad2a375b527868bf52bb6

Now, I don't know if there is an easy fix for this or if I've somehow done something incredibly wrong, but I've reinstalled the older 3.5 version until it either gets fixed or a fix is found.

Thanks in advance!

MrVoxel

I was having the same exact problem.  I love paint.net and freaked out that this update would stop me from using it.

HOWEVER, I solved the problem by disabling Hardware Accelerated Rendering (GPU) in the settings menu.  I am running Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1, and have an NVIDIA graphics card.  Hope this helps. =)

Yup, I was going to suggest that.

But I could really use the Diagnostics info too. I'm trying to reproduce this so I can fix it, and that may involve finding/procuring some hardware ... but I need to know what hardware to look for!

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I have the same issue. Disabling Hardware Accelerated Rendering (GPU) works for me too.

Application	paint.net v4.0 (Final 4.0.5288.36565)
Build Date	24 czerwca 2014

Renderowanie przyspieszane sprzętowo (GPU)	False
Animacje	True
Język	pl-PL

OS	Windows 8.1 (6.3.9600.0)
.NET Runtime	4.0.30319.34014
Physical Memory	3 523 MB

CPU	AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics    
    Architecture	x64 (64-bit)
    Process Mode	64-bit
    Speed	~1996 MHz
    Cores / Threads	4
    Features	DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, SSE4_2, XSAVE

Video Card	AMD Radeon HD 8400
    Dedicated Video RAM	1 513 MB
    Dedicated System RAM	0 MB
    Shared System RAM	1 536 MB
    Vendor ID	0x1002
    Device ID	0x9830
    Subsystem ID	0xFA341179
    Revision	0
    LUID	0x0000C054
    Flags	None
    Outputs	1

Video Card	Microsoft Basic Render Driver
    Dedicated Video RAM	0 MB
    Shared System RAM	256 MB
    Vendor ID	0x1414
    Device ID	0x008C
    Subsystem ID	0x00000000
    Revision	0
    LUID	0x0000C60F
    Flags	Software
    Outputs	0

I had the same problem. Turned off GPU rendering and it works now.

Diagnostics:

Application paint.net 4.0 (Final 4.0.5288.36565)
Build Date Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Hardware accelerated rendering (GPU) False
Animations True
Language en-US

OS Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601.65536)
.NET Runtime 4.0.30319.18444
Physical Memory 8,104 MB

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz
    Architecture x64 (64-bit)
    Process Mode 64-bit
    Speed ~2394 MHz
    Cores / Threads 4
    Features DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, SSE4_2, XSAVE

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M     
    Dedicated Video RAM 978 MB
    Dedicated System RAM 0 MB
    Shared System RAM 3,071 MB
    Vendor ID 0x10DE
    Device ID 0x1050
    Subsystem ID 0x16F21043
    Revision 161
    LUID 0x00008A17
    Flags None
    Outputs 1

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M     
    Dedicated Video RAM 978 MB
    Dedicated System RAM 0 MB
    Shared System RAM 3,071 MB
    Vendor ID 0x10DE
    Device ID 0x1050
    Subsystem ID 0x16F21043
    Revision 161
    LUID 0x000092DF
    Flags None
    Outputs 0

I am not certain of how to shut off GPU rendering...don't know what that is...but every since I installed the 4.0, I have had all kinds of problems. I use a Windows 64bit upgraded 8.1. It is a new computer...I am sure this does not help...but I wanted you to know this 4.0 definitely is unstable or is somehow not installing as well as hoped. I will try to figure out what GPU rendering means and try to shut it off...if I cannot figure it out, I will go back to the 3.5 as it worked excellently. I wish I were technical enough to help, Rick. Thanks for the work you ll do.

I am not certain of how to shut off GPU rendering...don't know what that is...but every since I installed the 4.0, I have had all kinds of problems. I use a Windows 64bit upgraded 8.1. It is a new computer...I am sure this does not help...but I wanted you to know this 4.0 definitely is unstable or is somehow not installing as well as hoped. I will try to figure out what GPU rendering means and try to shut it off...if I cannot figure it out, I will go back to the 3.5 as it worked excellently. I wish I were technical enough to help, Rick. Thanks for the work you ll do.

Click the :Settings: icon to open the settings dialog and uncheck the Hardware Accelerated Rendering (GPU) check box.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

I did locate the settings, unchecked the GPU box, and restarted pdn.....but still had the same problem. I also went into dianostics and tried to copy to clipboard, but discovered that it (clipboard) does not exist in the new Windows, no way to copy and paste....going back to 3.5.

Can you please go to the Settings dialog, then go to the Diagnostics section, then click Copy to Clipboard, and then paste that into a reply here?

Really sorry for not replying sooner! Better late than never I guess?  :)

Off topic, but another problem I had was with literally updating it. I had to download it from the website and install it that way, as it came up with an error when trying to update from inside paint.net. Not too much of a problem and might just be something to do with my firewall but anyway,

Oh, and disabling the Hardware Accelerated Rendering (GPU) worked for me as well.

Here is my diagnostics info:

Application	paint.net 4.0 (Final 4.0.5288.36565)
Build Date	24 June 2014

Hardware accelerated rendering (GPU)	True
Animations	True
Language	en-US

OS	Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601.65536)
.NET Runtime	4.0.30319.18444
Physical Memory	8,074 MB

CPU	Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
    Process Mode	64-bit
    Speed	~2394 MHz
    Cores / Threads	8

Video Card	NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 
    Dedicated Video RAM	1,990 MB
    Shared System RAM	2,048 MB
    Vendor ID	0x10DE
    Device ID	0x0FD1
    Subsystem ID	0x05521028
    Revision	161
    LUID	0x0000A6C8
    Flags	None
    Outputs	1

Video Card	NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 
    Dedicated Video RAM	1,990 MB
    Shared System RAM	2,048 MB
    Vendor ID	0x10DE
    Device ID	0x0FD1
    Subsystem ID	0x05521028
    Revision	161
    LUID	0x0000B33C
    Flags	None
    Outputs	0
Edited by MrVoxel

Same issue for me here, disabling GPU rendering fixed it. Made an account to give you all some diagnostic info. Also, on a side note, isn't 3 layers of spam blocking a bit excessive? :P

Application	paint.net 4.0 (Final 4.0.5288.36565)
Build Date	Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Hardware accelerated rendering (GPU)	True
Animations	True
Language	en-US

OS	Windows 8.1 (6.3.9600.0)
.NET Runtime	4.0.30319.34014
Physical Memory	12,175 MB

CPU	Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
    Process Mode	64-bit
    Speed	~2394 MHz
    Cores / Threads	8

Video Card	NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M
    Dedicated Video RAM	2,986 MB
    Shared System RAM	6,087 MB
    Vendor ID	0x10DE
    Device ID	0x11E0
    Subsystem ID	0x10E81462
    Revision	161
    LUID	0x0000C44C
    Flags	None
    Outputs	1

Video Card	NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M
    Vendor ID	0x10DE
    Device ID	0x11E0
    Subsystem ID	0x10E81462
    Revision	161
    LUID	0x0000C8D0
    Flags	None
    Outputs	0

Video Card	Microsoft Basic Render Driver
    Vendor ID	0x1414
    Device ID	0x008C
    Subsystem ID	0x00000000
    Revision	0
    LUID	0x0000C843
    Flags	Software
    Outputs	0

Also, on a side note, isn't 3 layers of spam blocking a bit excessive? :P

It's actually not enough.  We delete several spam accounts a day, even with three layers of spam blocking.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Are y'all using laptops with docking ports? Or possibly USB display adapters? Or something called DisplayLink?

Or really, any extra information about how you hook up your monitor(s) and GPUs would be helpful.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Are y'all using laptops with docking ports? Or possibly USB display adapters? Or something called DisplayLink?

Or really, any extra information about how you hook up your monitor(s) and GPUs would be helpful.

Literally just using my laptop, nothing attached but a USB Wireless mouse.

That does help actually. (Well, it doesn't get me any closer to a solution but it does provide important information ... basically, that this is not limited to DisplayLink)

Have you installed all the latest Windows Updates? Latest video card drivers? Have you ever had a second monitor attached, especially if it was hooked up via a USB / DisplayLink gizmo?

What laptop are you using? What configuration? Did you configure the video card in any way when you ordered it, or after you got the laptop? Basically any information you can think of related to the video card, monitor, GPU, etc. would be helpful!

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Also, do you have any problems with the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome? IIRC, they're all using Direct2D now. Please make sure that any setting like "enable hardware acceleration" is enabled (or, conversely, any setting phrased such as "disable hardware acceleration" should be disabled).

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

That does help actually. (Well, it doesn't get me any closer to a solution but it does provide important information ... basically, that this is not limited to DisplayLink)

Have you installed all the latest Windows Updates? Latest video card drivers? Have you ever had a second monitor attached, especially if it was hooked up via a USB / DisplayLink gizmo?

What laptop are you using? What configuration? Did you configure the video card in any way when you ordered it, or after you got the laptop? Basically any information you can think of related to the video card, monitor, GPU, etc. would be helpful!

Well, that's a lot of questions!

Windows updates are all up to date, so nothing special there.

Video card drivers are also all updated from both nvidia and intel.

I have had a second monitor attached but not since the new 4.0 update. It is a 1920x1080 monitor which I connect through HDMI.

My laptop is an Alienware M14x (Keep the rage and things to a minimum, I honestly don't care)

What do you mean by configuration?

Alsoo, I've not changed anything since I've bought it.

Hope some of that is helpful, anymore info needed just ask

Thanks. All information helps!

Do you have or use any kind of screen capture or recording software?

If you go into Device Manager, how many display adapters do you have? (a screenshot would be excellent). It confuses me that your NVIDIA GeForce is showing up twice in the list of adapters in Paint.NET's diagnostics tab. This seems to be pretty common when people report this, although it's not conclusive (see the Radeon listed above all by itself).

(I'm not sure what rage is attached to Alienware ... ? :) )

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thanks. All information helps!

Do you have or use any kind of screen capture or recording software?

If you go into Device Manager, how many display adapters do you have? (a screenshot would be excellent). It confuses me that your NVIDIA GeForce is showing up twice in the list of adapters in Paint.NET's diagnostics tab. This seems to be pretty common when people report this, although it's not conclusive (see the Radeon listed above all by itself).

(I'm not sure what rage is attached to Alienware ... ? :) )

I have OBS as screen capture software, which isn't used regularly, but is used.

In Device Manager, I have 3 display adapters, even though there should only be 2 since I have uninstalled LogMeIn, which should have removed the driver, but anyway:

http://gyazo.com/b12f8a8d6fad0743f38fb5ab19ce856c

(Many people feel Alienware is very overpriced for what they give you and other things like that, glad to know you have no large opinion on the matter!)

Does OBS run all the time, like in the tray or whatever? 

What happens if you disable/delete the LogMeIn driver?

OBS only runs when you open it, and stays in the tray as you record.

Disabling the LogMeIn driver doesn't help the problem with Paint.NET, the problem returns when enabling the GPU hardware.

Both Chrome, Firefox and Internet explorer (shudder) run fine just now, no problems whatsoever.

EDIT: Won't reply until the morning from now. Put in as many questions as you can and I'll answer them tomorrow!

Edited by MrVoxel

Hya everyone, I have this problem too.

Rather than posting the same stuff all over the place I will plop links to the two others in here since this seems to be the place:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28931-paintnet-40-windows-8/?p=412475

And:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28796-paintnet-40-is-now-available/page-4

This way I make less of a mess than I was well on my way to making.

I did notice that a few people have similar configurations in the list of stuff above.

For things attached I have:

A USB Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000.

A USB Wacom Intuos 4.

And 3 TB of USB hard drives.

No docking, no extra monitors.

If you want the Diagnostic stuff let me know but its in those two links above...

Cheers!

Mealea

PS:

I should point out that I have an acer and it looks like MrVoxel has almost the same thing I have.

If that is the case we both have TWO video cards, one is an Intel HD 4000 and the other is the Nvidia, though it looks like I got lucky and have slightly more ram in mine.