paint.net 4.0 is now available!

@ thaensGHS

As I tried to explain in an above post of this thread,

Paint bucket tool

Having the paint bucket function more easily will strongly rely on forming a new habit of how one colors things with it.

Classic use : Choose a color > fill. Change color > make new fill.
That work flow pattern doesn't work anymore unless you hit the commit button, or hit your enter key, after each fill.
New Use : Choose your starting color > fill > click new fill spot > THEN change your color while the new fill is still active.

It is recommended that you click your next fill spot first, and then change the color, not change color and then fill. All you are doing is switching what action you do first. After you are done with a series of multiple paint fills, you can either click the commit button or simply change tools, as changing tools also commits changes.

For some people they might like it if changing colors acted as a commit button, the way switching tools does, but it doesn't. However, that doesn't mean all things are bad. The ability to change the color of the fill while it's active does have benefits, such as for people who like to fine tune their colors for that perfect hue, or for people who might be indecisive on what color they want. Paring the color control with the tolerance control, and the ability to move your fill like an object, plus paint blending modes, opens up some bigger possibilities.

See this video that demonstrates the fill tool back when 4.0 was in earlier beta stages :
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dnyna2PlcRw

So, again, although it is easier and more natural to just choose a new color first, and click on where you want to fill, without the new color having any relations to the previous fill, that's just not how things work anymore. You either hit commit or use a new workflow pattern.

To be quicker, I do recommend what I've called the "New Use". Which is again, clicking on the area that you want filled first, regardless of what color you currently have, and then while your new fill is active, change that fill's color. This isn't a choose your color and then choose the area you want filled, this is a choose the area that you want filled, and then choose your color.

Choose area > Change Color. And repeat, Choose Area > Change Color. Choose next Area > Change Color. And so on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About your color palette,  I think your old palette still exists, but when you upgraded Paint.NET, the upgrade re-set your palette to default. So as long as you saved your custom palette, you should be able to find it and re-upload it.

How to save and load palettes : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/1708-how-to-install-pluginsgeneral-plugin-troubleshooting-thread/page-24#entry235263

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, about Paint.NET not remembering where you place your windows every time you open and close the programe, I do not experience this. My windows, such as tools, colors, history, etc, are always exactly where I leave them. In fact, I often find myself wishing I had a "reset windows location" button. So, hearing how Paint.NET is treating your window locations, makes me think it might be a glitch for individual users like yourself, or for certain PCs.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Why is the only solution to revert to the old version? Why not spend a few minutes and learn the new stuff ...

It's a no win situation, if you had kept the UI the same as 3.5+ then the complaint would be "why does it look the same"  or "why have you not done this".

Personally I find the new UI to be very nicely laid out and easy to navigate. I like all the new features too and the UI's on some of the plugin's are better. I like the fact that all the plugin's that are included with pdn don't have the little jigsaw puzzle icon.  I think you have done a very good job with V4 and look forward to many more years of enjoyment using the program :)

ZXCBOoZ.png

Why is the only solution to revert to the old version? Why not spend a few minutes and learn the new stuff ...

I tried 3 times since this version came out to update my version of Win7 to Win7 SP1.

• First time failed, so I downloaded the upgrade advisor to see what the problem was (since I could not remember it)
  • Upgrade advisor closed while I was away from my PC. Did that mean it was done? So I tried installing the SP1 again. It still failed saying I needed to run the upgrade advisor to see what those problems were.
  • I ran the upgrade advisor a second time and saw it close after running about 30 minutes, so I tried installing the SP1. It still failed with the same message to run the upgrade advisor - which doesn't work.

At least v3.5 is not broke. :)

~Joe

Avoid Sears Home Improvement (click to read why)

I tried 3 times since this version came out to update my version of Win7 to Win7 SP1.

• First time failed, so I downloaded the upgrade advisor to see what the problem was (since I could not remember it)
  • Upgrade advisor closed while I was away from my PC. Did that mean it was done? So I tried installing the SP1 again. It still failed saying I needed to run the upgrade advisor to see what those problems were.
  • I ran the upgrade advisor a second time and saw it close after running about 30 minutes, so I tried installing the SP1. It still failed with the same message to run the upgrade advisor - which doesn't work.

At least v3.5 is not broke. :)

SP-1 would have been available as a Windows 7 update at some stage for you (it was when I had it) Just the same as Windows 8.1 update 1 is now.

ZXCBOoZ.png

SP-1 would have been available as a Windows 7 update at some stage for you (it was when I had it) Just the same as Windows 8.1 update 1 is now.

I did a search about what was in SP1. It had nothing critical, and only caused issues for a lot of people.

When it failed for me back when Microsoft pushed it out, there was no reason to care.

A few interesting links:

SP1 does not install on my PC, and I'm guessing there is some sort of incompatibility issue with that computer.

So, I won't be able to migrate to PDN v4 until I buy a new PC. PDN v4 is the only thing that machine an issue with, so I'll hang onto v3.5 for now.

~Joe

I did a search about what was in SP1. It had nothing critical [...]

... except some things that Paint.NET 4 requires to function...

[...] and only caused issues for a lot of some people.

Fixed that for you.  :)  The number of people affected by SP1 issues was so incredibly, ridiculously small that you have to dive several pages deep into the Google results to find the first complaint from someone it actually happened to.  I commiserate with you for your problem, but you can't expect Rick to delay PDN4's release (or waste time after the fact) simply to patch it for a tiny edge case of people who are affected by this Windows 7 issue.

That said, have you tried reinstalling Windows fresh and then installing the service pack?  Sometimes that's all it takes.  Additionally, you could download a copy of Windows 7 that includes the service pack and install it fresh on your machine.  There are all sorts of ways that you could fix your machine rather than begging the developer to cater to your edge problem.

• Upvote 2

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Okay well you've already told us this several times. We get it. Stop bringing it up.

That said, have you tried reinstalling Windows fresh and then installing the service pack?  Sometimes that's all it takes.  Additionally, you could download a copy of Windows 7 that includes the service pack and install it fresh on your machine.  There are all sorts of ways that you could fix your machine rather than begging the developer to cater to your edge problem.

I don't want to make Rick mad. I generally hang out on forums where people go to visit and enjoy themselves while possibly learning something. I get the feeling he doesn't want that type of atmosphere here, so I'll keep it brief.

I reinstalled Windows about a year back when I purchased a larger hard drive. At that time, I tried Windows 8 for about a month, but I did not like the tablet interface on a desktop. I downloaded Win7 w/ SP1, but it would not validate with the non-SP1 key I already owned.

v3.5 is fine. I'm not trying to get him to change anything for me. I just wanted to report some of the problems so he'd know about them.

~Joe

Fair enough.  Thanks.

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Hi there,

What’s a powerful version of your newest Paint.NET !! Wow !!

I love and I will never let it down!

The Windows7 integration is over a success. My specs: Win7 Ultimate SP1 x64, MS Framework 4.5.1, Intel i7, Nvidia GTX 540, 8,00Go RAM

And there are significant performances improvements.

My CPU uses largely less memory and the whole Paint.NET works faster more generally!!

And my laptop ventilators no more make noise when I use it now ! :)

Gimp 2.0 is clearly in late !

I don’t know how may I continue to make screenshots and photos without your terrific soft! :)

A question: I saw that MS Framework v4.5.2 is out now. Does it improve Paint.NET or not ?

Many thanks, and keep it up !! Great job!

Okay, I've been trying to use 4.0 for a few days now and I can confirm now that the program is 2 times slower after the update, what I find seriously disappointing and annoying. Any chances for it being fixed?

Any chance of you giving people more information? What memory (RAM) is on your machine? What OS are you on? (Win7 or Win8) What part of it is slow? In my opinion I find it to be faster than 3.5.11 and I run it on a very old PC that started life out as a Vista machine and now runs Windows 8.1

• Upvote 1

BREtKQW.png

I'm on Win7, 8GB RAM.

It opens two times slower, and basically any action done for the first time after opening the program takes much longer to load. Considering that most of the time I open the program just to quickly edit something, this is kind of annoying.

Edited by ZuTheSkunk

Is there any way to get back the circle, ellipse and rectangle buttons to the tool palette? I used to use these a lot with the previous version and I would like to have them back in this version too. Or better would be if I could customize the tool buttons what I want to be shown. If not then I will continue using the 3.5 version.

I'm on Win7, 8GB RAM.

It opens two times slower, and basically any action done for the first time after opening the program takes much longer to load. Considering that most of the time I open the program just to quickly edit something, this is kind of annoying.

Hello ZuTheSkunk. :)

Thanks for providing some info about your PC.

To help Paint.NET improve, providing your specs is always useful.

If you want to help more, you can provide more or better information by going to your Paint.NET settings :Settings:, located in the upper right corner of Paint.NET.

Then click on "Diagnostics" and "copy to clipboard"

ClickSettingsIcon_zps0ec97a44.jpg

PCSpecs_zps83b2f814.jpg

Then paste the info on the forums.

When you go to paste the info in the forums, I recommend hiding the info to help make your post shorter.

To hide it, use the Advanced Editor.

ForumEditor_zpsba80a03c.jpg

Then click the Special BBCode Icon

SpecialBBCodeClickIcon_zpsac9e47b6.jpg

And choose "Hide" from the drop down list. Paste your info in the "Hide"s contents box.

We all love Paint.NET and all hope for it to improve, so the users helping where they can is good. :)

Is there any way to get back the circle, ellipse and rectangle buttons to the tool palette? I used to use these a lot with the previous version and I would like to have them back in this version too. Or better would be if I could customize the tool buttons what I want to be shown. If not then I will continue using the 3.5 version.

Hi.

Sorry each individual shape isn't in the Tools Window anymore, but you can still use shortcut keys.

Press the "O" key on your keyboard twice to use the Shapes tool, and as said by Rick on his Blog, Pressing "A" now cycles through the shapes when the Shapes tool is active (Shift+A cycles backward). Here's an old beta picture from the blog. :)

2013-03-30_shapes_1.png

Congrats on 4.0!

I have been using Paint.net for years and this new update finally made me register here to offer my thanks.

I am a bit thrown off by the moving of certain tools, but I will get used to it. I am loving a lot of the new features. I really "cut-my-teeth" with digital art/manipulation using Paint.net. As I got a little more advanced, I started to use some of the other (expensive) programs, but I would almost always fall back on Paint.net because it was so familiar to me.

I LOVE that I can now move my layers and thumbs around with click-and-drag. This, along with a multitude of other new features, has really brought Paint.net up to compete with the big boys.

Thanks again.

Hello ZuTheSkunk. :)

Thanks for providing some info about your PC.

To help Paint.NET improve, providing your specs is always useful.

If you want to help more, you can provide more or better information by going to your Paint.NET settings :Settings:, located in the upper right corner of Paint.NET.

Here: http://imageshack.com/a/img849/647/67no.png

I've been using Paint.Net for many years and love it. After installing Version 4 I am very disappointed, and would like to remove it and install v3.5.11 again. However I cannot find a download for it.

Regards, Sandi

Thanks for posting your system specs Zu.  For future reference, an image is not as easy for Rick to copy as text. This is why Cc4FuzzyHuggles wrote (my emphasis)

If you want to help more, you can provide more or better information by going to your Paint.NET settings  :Settings:, located in the upper right corner of Paint.NET.

Once the text is copied to the clipboard you can paste it into a post between {Hide}  {/Hide} tags.

Split out the off-topic part to its own thread, here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/29084-old-version-demands-and-disrespect/#entry413044

But the point still remains:

From now on, any disrespectful behavior I see will be met with an immediate warn for the user. If you need help, ask for help respectfully.  If you want to tear down the freely-given work of others, take your self-righteous first-world problems and go suck a lemon.

If you're having bugs or other problems with the program, they go here.  We'd love to help.

If you have a legitimate question about how to do something in the new version, ask it here.  We'd love to help.

If you want to be entitled and complain about something, that's here.  We wish you would just go away.

Now, let's keep this on-topic, please.

• Upvote 1