Larger buttons request

Hi,

After having installed Paint.net a few days ago I noticed every time I run the program I find the buttons very hard to read. It's eye-straining and not convenient while so far I only did basic things with it. Don't want to think about it if larger projects are involved.

So my feature request is: please offer users the option to choose a button size. Doesn't have to be a fancy new set of buttons; just magnified versions will do :-P

Roberto

I use "hobby" glasses. They simply magnify by a factor of 1.5 - though you can get them up to 3x. At $12.95 they are MUCH cheaper than a visit to your optometrist!

Hi,

Thanks for the tips that theoretically work but of course I considered those options already. is it such a weird feature request to offer some basic button size options? Hey, the option of a larger monitor has been forgotten to mention! :-P Anyway, it's programming-wise definately not a brainer compared to all the other things in Paint.net :-P

True, I could wear glasses, chance my OS or monitor settings and it lately seems getting more popular software using smaller buttons than before.

Wearing glasses: could do that when starting an app with small buttons although wearing glasses for a longer time strains my eyes (especially those from an optometrist; I soon started to use cheap ones from the drugstore which basically are just ordinary magnifying glasses). And when I take them off again my eyes need time to get used to that again.

Changing OS settings: I did until I liked them in general with using other software.

Changing monitor settings: don't want to change dpi's because if the dpi's are different from my monitor's native resolution then the result is a blurrier picture. Changing display size is also not wanted: want to have a large working area when editing photos or graphical projects instead of scrolling all the time. Downgrading from 1680x1050 pixels to smaller either distorts and blurs or causes not full use of my monitor display area. My monitor is 1680x1050 pixels and has physically 96dpi; setting graphic card settings to any different value simply degrades display quality.

Some software has icon size options and I (and probably many others) find it as useful as customizing toolbars for working with the app being a more effective and convenient experience.

Just requested/ let know about my wish for that feature and can do nothing more than posting and hoping for it being taken into consideration :-P

Roberto

Hi Barbieq25,

:-))) Yes, I can't deny it's tempting to use Paint.net.

Initially I downloaded it just out of curiosity after someone in a plugins development group mentioned Paint.net can run photoshop plugins.

Not many apps can do that and it's always good to know at least to check if it's a useful editor for starters. Unfortunately starters these days are facing a huge wall of confusion when learning a decent editor due to the fact that all decent editors have turned into bloatware. We were lucky to get familiar with graphics editors when they still were understandable and that motivates a lot more to hang on and eventually discover the more exotic features or tricks.

Anyway, after having installed Paint.net I busted myself, not even knowing the program well, I several times started it for doing simple tasks like cropping, saving screendumps as, etc.. Only because it starts up lightning fast and the basic features are (still?) quickly accessible.

I'm old school; still using Photoshop 6 (you heard it right :-) ) most of the time despite having Elements 9 and PaintShop Pro X3 (and CorelDraw X2, including PhotoPaint X2) as well. I'm not really font of the modern editors because they're slow (no I haven't got a quad core 16 THz machine) and the menus got bloated. Not to speak of the built-in photo organizers consuming workspace, performance and taking over file associations, and response to inserting external media). GIMP I didn't like much either.

Not Paint.net; it starts up fast, it's clear, supports layers and even native and Photoshop plugins (so I've heard it's not working flawless, though), and the most used features are quickly accessible. Did I mention effects instantly being rendered while changing control settings? :-P

Still some features are limited like the text tool rastering its layer, which makes it harder to apply certain effects (drop shadow, bevel, etc.).

It's nice: installed it just to get an impression of what it's like, turning out in something I am actually starting to use :-)

If it would support Dutch language I'd definitely recommend it to some people I know; people who tried a popular editor but gave up as it looked too confusing and complicated. Know someone who is doing his graphics in Windows Paint!

Roberto

is it such a weird feature request to offer some basic button size options?

Yes, actually it is. Not only is that a lot of work to do in the first place, but it adds a tremendous amount of testing to be done before every release of Paint.NET. A lot to ask for a one-person developer team, especially when there are already many other options.

Changing monitor settings: don't want to change dpi's because if the dpi's are different from my monitor's native resolution then the result is a blurrier picture.

This will not make things blurry:

In Win7, just search for "dpi" and a control panel called "Make text and other items larger or smaller"

Windows also has a magnifier tool.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

...and it lately seems getting more popular software using smaller buttons than before.

Seriously, the buttons are the same size they've always been. It's your eyes that are getting weaker.

When I was younger I had perfect vision... now I wear glasses for everything. It happens to all of us.