Changing Layer Opacity to more than 255

Perhaps you are only thinking about opaque layers, in which case, no it does not make sense. It makes perfect sense if you are using transparent objects (and don't want to waste time merging a whole bunch), or using layer blends (which you can't merge down (sometimes you can with print-screen trickery, but most of the time you can't)) and don't want to have a orgy of layers, manually moving each one. It's not so bad when you can group layers or select them all at once, but you can't in PdN and this would be a solution for those occasions.

Edited by brad.pike

The color format is RGBA - one byte per channel = 32 bits of info. There simply is no way to add a value of more than 255 to the byte range of available Alpha values.

0 is transparent, 255 is opaque. You can't get more transparent than zero (no matter how many zeroes you add), and you can't get more opaque that fully opaque (255).

brad, wouldn't this be easier with BoltBait's transparency plug-in? You could move the slider all the way to the right.

That doesn't work with blend modes, for example I could want to have an overlay layer duplicated, even if the objects inside the layer are 100% opaque. It is helpful for that, yes but I think this way is more elegant.

The color format is RGBA - one byte per channel = 32 bits of info. There simply is no way to add a value of more than 255 to the byte range of available Alpha values.

0 is transparent, 255 is opaque. You can't get more transparent than zero (no matter how many zeroes you add), and you can't get more opaque that fully opaque (255).

I understand that, but a transparent object in a fully opaque layer is still transparent. Putting the opacity to 510 should reduce anti-aliasing for example--and yes I know there is a plugin for that. But no plugin will work for doubling blend mode intensity, surely somebody else understands what I'm rambling about and has had the same issue.

post-50534-129463819449_thumb.png

Edited by brad.pike

I think I know what you are talking about. It only makes some sense if you are talking about a blend mode other than "normal". And still, you cant adjust the transparency more than 100% opaque. But by duplicating the layer you want the blend mode to intensify, you can achieve something like what you are talking about. But you are not increasing the transparency, you are just increasing the effect. Like the example you posted, just duplicate the layer and adjust the transparency of the duplicate. Two layers with the blend mode "overlay" will have more of an intense effect than one layer. But two layers with the blend mode "normal" can only get to 100% opaque. Sorry if this makes no sense, but I hope this helps.

Wait! No matter where you go, there you are!

We're all wise guys.

This makes no sense.

By that, I don't mean "I don't understand what you're talking about" but rather "This is a horrible, contrived, nonsensical way to achieve something that is only tangentially related to what you are trying to accomplish, and would only serve to create confusion."

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Mathematically, it wouldn't be possibe to go beyond 255 because as EER said, 255 is fully opaque. That is akin to asking the AM frequency to become FM frequency, which I'm sure might (emphasis) be mathematically possible.

Using PS' layer opacity as an example, 100% in PS is fully opaque. Apply that logic to PDN, 255 times 100% is 255. Can't get any further than that.

Granted someone, a master perhaps, that's a mathematician theorist might argue with me.

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

What pyrochild said. It doesn't make sense, and it'd be a terrible hack even if it did, not to mention a woefully undiscoverable solution to a niche problem. You haven't convinced anyone, are unlikely to, and it's just not going to happen. No further discussion is productive, therefore ...

Thread Closed

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg