DDSFileType.DLL Error

I get an error when i open PDN. I've never had this problem before. I have a photo that includes the error in it. I repaired it once, and then i tried to open PDN, and it does this over, and over, and OVER AGAIN!! It drives me NUTS!!

Thanks to those who can help me out!

1z1skfq.jpg

Edited by metsrule2000

Try putting this in your filetypes folder. First extract it; then place the DLL itself in C:\program files\Paint.NET\filetypes. Hope this helps.

BTW, you really should update Paint.NET.

Edited by pyrochild
Attachment removed; we don't support older versions.

Space...The Final Frontier. -James Tiberius Kirk; circa 2260s

YLOD VICTIM

Try putting this in your filetypes folder. First extract it; then place the DLL itself in C:\program files\Paint.NET\filetypes. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I will try this and update you on it.

PS: I know i need to, DON'T REMIND ME! LOLboltbait.tongue.png

Edited by metsrule2000

Just tried it, and it worked. Thank you so much!

I will update this when i can. Thanks again!

Well, i was able to install the update for 3.5.5 or what the latest version is. Well, i install it, and i go to restart it (Paint.Net), and it tells me the same error as i had before with 3.36. I'm 100% sure i just need the DLL file again. I did that before and that worked. So as long as someone would be able to give me that again, i would appriciate it.

Other than that, i won't have any other problems!

Actually, I don't believe PDN v3.5.5 has a DDSfiletype DLL. Try this:

1. Uninstall Paint.NET. You'll want to backup all your plugins. You should either use Windows' built-in uninstaller, or I would recommend Revo Uninstaller. You can get it here(the free version):

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

2. Download windows installer cleanup. It's a little utility that FULLY uninstalls a program's registry keys (although I don't think I can say the same for trial software). Softpedia has a link to it:

Windows installer cleanup

3. Reinstall PDN and restore all of your plugins (if they're not already there, which they shouldn't be)

That's it. If you still get the same error, you must not have upgraded correctly. Once again, try this DLL. If it doesn't work, just keep uninstalling PDN and reinstalling it til' the error goes away, cause as far as I know, PDN 3.5.5 doesn't include this DLL.

Edit by Rick: Removed ZIP file. This is built-in to PDN v3.5+, no need to distribute the DLL :roll: And remember, users of anything but the latest version get no support.

YLOD VICTIM

Actually, I don't believe PDN v3.5.5 has a DDSfiletype DLL. Try this:

1. Uninstall Paint.NET. You'll want to backup all your plugins. You should either use Windows' built-in uninstaller, or I would recommend Revo Uninstaller. You can get it here(the free version):

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

2. Download windows installer cleanup. It's a little utility that FULLY uninstalls a program's registry keys (although I don't think I can say the same for trial software). Softpedia has a link to it:

Windows installer cleanup

3. Reinstall PDN and restore all of your plugins (if they're not already there, which they shouldn't be)

That's it. If you still get the same error, you must not have upgraded correctly. Once again, try this DLL. If it doesn't work, just keep uninstalling PDN and reinstalling it til' the error goes away, cause as far as I know, PDN 3.5.5 doesn't include this DLL.

Maybe i didn't IDK. I got a pop-up inside of Paint.net saying update blah blah blah, and i clicked update and then installed it. IDK.

Did you tweak the actual DLLs and what not? If it's still giving you the DLL message it sounds as if it's files have been tampered with.

Also, you'll want to keep a copy of the DLL, cause the mods probably won't keep the link up for long.

One last thing; did the update notifier say v3.5.5? Cause, I've seen some old versions incorrectly report the newest version as something older (like v3.5.1 for example). If that's the case, you'll want to manually download v3.5.5. Maybe that'll solve all your problems.

Edited by jerry533482

YLOD VICTIM

Look, if Paint.NET is complaining about DdsFileType.dll then you've got the wrong version of Paint.NET installed.

Maybe you had 3.36, then installed 3.5.5, and then it said you needed to reboot and the you didn't, and then the files wound up in a some-updated-some-not-updated state. This seems like the highest probability right now.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Did you tweak the actual DLLs and what not? If it's still giving you the DLL message it sounds as if it's files have been tampered with.

Also, you'll want to keep a copy of the DLL, cause the mods probably won't keep the link up for long.

1.) I am computer savvy, BUT IM NOT that computer savvy. I never tampered with anything. I just updated Paint.net and then i get the message.

2.) I am WAY ahead of you there. I've downloaded the file twice and will use it as a replacement if this ever happens again. But it shouldn't.

Edited by metsrule2000

Maybe you had 3.36, then installed 3.5.5, and then it said you needed to reboot and the you didn't, and then the files wound up in a some-updated-some-not-updated state. This seems like the highest probability right now.

I may not have. I will redo it and try it again.

DDS support has been included in PDN since 3.1 see here