So called Fractals

I was wondering if anyone had any idea about these so called Fractals. The fractals in PDN aren't like these, as far as I can tell. Here's a few images I've collected recently.

If you know of a better name (that when searched in google doesn't return the "old" fractals), please tell me. And especially if you know how to create these in PDN or if there's a plugin that does it, that'd be great to know.

[*:3sjfg4k9]Those aren't fractals. They might be made out of fractals (from a fractal program like Apophysis), but they're not fractals themselves.
    [*:3sjfg4k9]Paint.NET is not a fractal program. Get Apophysis. You can always edit them later in Paint.NET.
    [*:3sjfg4k9]Forum rules. Your images were waaaaaay too big.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

• [*:16c2nw9k]Those aren't fractals. They might be made out of fractals (from a fractal program like Apophysis), but they're not fractals themselves.
    [*:16c2nw9k]Paint.NET is not a fractal program. Get Apophysis. You can always edit them later in Paint.NET.
    [*:16c2nw9k]
Forum rules. Your images were waaaaaay too big.

Sorry about the images, that's why I used a hide (forgot a warning though..). Haven't used PB in a long time, so couldn't find any thumbnails if they had them for my images.

Ya, I wasn't sure about the name. Twice now when trying to find out about these images I've been told their fractals, so I haven't been able to find anything solid on them.

I'll look into Apophysis, thanks all.

Very beautiful images ! I really like the cat.

I think you could reproduce this effect in PdN. Sure, it's would take some time to figure it out, but it is very similar to Yellowman's splinter effect for photo manipulation. Maybe he will stop by and see this post and comment on it. I'm sure if anyone could figure it out, it would be Yellowman. You might want to check out his gallery and look for his lion photo. It is really beautiful. I did a hummingbird, an owl, and a pair of finches using it. You can see them on this page, about half way down.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22624&p=312422&hilit=hummingbird#p312422

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

Let us know when you've whipped it up won't you Frontcannon? :)

This is just 2 examples of what you can do with the tute WelshBlue mentioned & gave a link to:

th_KingoftheJungle.png

th_ChristmasTX750V2.png

Of course you can take the shatter/splinter effect as far as you want to. I didn't take them as far as the images you referred to.

Unless I am sadly mistaken, Chaoscope & Apophysis (used it but not very well) will not give you that effect. Anyone who can please let me know.

I hope this has given you some further insight to the power of PDN.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

That's a photoshop effect called fractalius, btw. (as far as I know)

Thanks! That helps me a lot, as I know what to look for now (just searching that in google images brought up a bunch of similar types of pictures), and it explains the terrible choice of name to describe these images (fractals with an 'iu' after the l).

If you could emulate Fractalius as a PlugIn for pdn, that would be awesome. But then we'd be facing copyright claims, so...

It'd be really nice to see for PDN, it'd be one of the best plugins ever. If a general batching process came out for PDN, Fractalius+Batch=Bunch of nice images.

Sargon' aka Yellowman has found a good technique that sort of copies this sort of image on another forum http://pdnfans.freeforums.org/post7726.html#p7726.

It's a very effective method and you might want to give it a try ?

I've been messing around with this, and I'm getting some cool images, but I don't have many that are really compatible already on my comp. Too many colors and such, and when draining the colors, you just lose the appeal. But I've been using different techniques to try and figure out a good way to obtain the color. Thanks for the link all the same!

Very beautiful images ! I really like the cat.

I think you could reproduce this effect in PdN. Sure, it's would take some time to figure it out, but it is very similar to Yellowman's splinter effect for photo manipulation. Maybe he will stop by and see this post and comment on it. I'm sure if anyone could figure it out, it would be Yellowman. You might want to check out his gallery and look for his lion photo. It is really beautiful. I did a hummingbird, an owl, and a pair of finches using it. You can see them on this page, about half way down.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22624&p=312422&hilit=hummingbird#p312422

... isn't that what I said ? With a link to the tut and all :roll:

Yes you did. I guess that's what I get for not reading all the posts. Sorry ! :D I guess that's why I couldn't find the tut on here.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

• 3 years later...

Bump!

Someone just posted a lot of these pictures @ /wg/ and in the replies I saw they have been made by the Photoshop plugin: Fractalius.

Then searched on it and found this topic when someone wanted to convert Fractalius into a Paint.net plugin, then i got here.

I just wanted to post that i saw this "Fractalius effect" in a demo by ASD: http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=57446

The demo (or the demo makers) might help someone to create the paint.net version of the plugin.

Hi there perlock.  Welcome to the forum.

This thread is two years old.  This means that the discussion is over and has been for some time.  If you wish to revive a topic, please just start a new thread.  That way we keep things current.

BTW you might like to have a look at this plugin:  http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/20622-psfilterpdn-2012-05-18/   In particular, see post #11 ;)

<closed>