Jerry's Paint.NET creations

jerry533482

Actually, if you're into experimenting with interstellar plasma clouds, there's a couple things I'd recommend checking into to help you.

Mcamp14 is an astronomer, and recently gave me some advice on what colors go where in a nebula. That post is here, at his gallery (reply # 6):

Astronomy Related

And here is a brilliant tut by Frozen_byte that works by blending clouds to the point where they're almost invisible against the night sky, then painting and blurring colors in a layer below; which makes that particular section of the nebula become "visible", while adding color. It's here:

Making Polished Spacescapes v2

And I also found a nice Photoshop tutorial on deviant art that gives the outlines on how to make some very realistic nebulae from pictures of real clouds. It's in Voyager212's gallery: Nebula tutorial by Voyager212

Of course, You'll likely end up creating your own technique for actually making the clouds, as everyone has their own preferences. And Once again, I hope you find this information useful. ;)

Edited by jerry533482

Space...The Final Frontier. -James Tiberius Kirk; circa 2260s

YLOD VICTIM

You're making some nice progress with your nebulae ;), keep on at it Jerry (I especially like the red one).

Lots of layers and blending modes like overlay and screen are very important when creating a nebula.

falkengasgiant.png

100% Paint.net

"I'm the evil fairy witch. Since I'm so evil, I'm locking this pointless thread" -Pyrochild

Haven't been up to much new artwork lately; I've been busy cubing (I started back in April; it's a long story, but anyway, I can now average under 45 seconds, with my best being 32 seconds :D ), and so I haven't been getting much inspiration lately. But, the SAC competitions have been getting me into my old habits, so expect new artwork soon. Until then, here's my SAC #4 entry:

SAC4.png

It uses the same technique as Randomized Beauty, and hence looks similar (With the exception of the colors of the background stars; they're faint, but they use a similar effect as in GIMP's "plasma" noise render, which I have figured out how to duplicate in PDN). I was originally going to do a star system, but I decided this on last-minute. It turned out to be a good choice, as I won 2nd place :) .

YLOD VICTIM

Well, my original intent for creating this space rock was to make it stand out; e.g.; I was aiming for something more fantasy-like. I wasn't focusing on realism; I was focusing on abstract eye-candy. granted, I am working on the stars, and finding a way to create believable continents. It's just easier when you go for the final composition rather than realism. :star:

YLOD VICTIM

Continents and no atmosphere? :lol:

And speaking of fractals, would you have some advice on the subject? I use PDN quite a bit, but I've never paid much attention to some of these terms. I know what they mean, but I don't know them fluently enough to fully utilize them. :P

Edited by jerry533482

YLOD VICTIM

Nothing big, but I've changed my sig. Now it's a project itself, instead of a crop from my artwork scaled down. I decided against creating a 2 megapixel spacescape and then scaling it down to 400x150 because the antialiasing would make it look terrible. =O

Credit to Frontcannon for the idea of noise in a nebula. It looks beautiful. :mrgreen:

YLOD VICTIM

The left side of the sig is top-notc. Really good, I love it.

The right side, not so much. Planet is WAAY too bright in the middle and the galaxy looks like a sick worm. The ring looks like a rubber band.

CSM, is right about the planet & the ring.

Galaxy, maybe get rid of the stars behind it? Duplicate the layer & blur, send below?

Ring, wonder what would happen with Trail plugin set to fade out & maybe Conditional Hue/Saturation?

The idea is good & so is the background. You do good work :)

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

• 3 weeks later...

Here's something small i did recently. The original image was much bigger, but it looked kinda' bland (with the exception of this one corner), so I cut out what i liked.

"space rock"

spacerock.png

YLOD VICTIM

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cool sig bart, but why not add shadows under the letters? That always solves the issue of not getting text to show up over a background.

Anyway, here's a little something i made with v3.36 (school computers don't have the 3.5 framework):

I call it "aqua":

aqua.png

I still say I came up with the effect before Mcsteeze. Heck, I was an 8th grader when I first made it!

Anyway, the computers at NHS are dual-core, so I made the textures in the 1200x1600 workspace (and they rendered much quicker there than they would on my system, might i add), and resized them down to 800x600. I'm pleased with the outcome.

cubing update: my new PB: 22.99 seconds (B))

Edited by jerry533482

YLOD VICTIM

You mean the orb on page 1? That's v3.6! I just went over the original and replaced parts i didn't like, and feathered here and there. Actually, I think it was the first tut i followed on this forum (hence that's why it's the first pic in my gallery).

Here's the tut if you're interested:

glass ball by Sharp

YLOD VICTIM

Cool sig bart, but why not add shadows under the letters? That always solves the issue of not getting text to show up over a background.

Anyway, here's a little something i made with v3.36 (school computers don't have the 3.5 framework):

I call it "aqua":

aqua.png

I still say I came up with the effect before Mcsteeze. Heck, I was an 8th grader when I first made it!

Anyway, the computers at NHS are dual-core, so I made the textures in the 1200x1600 workspace (and they rendered much quicker there than they would on my system, might i add), and resized them down to 800x600. I'm pleased with the outcome.

cubing update: my new PB: 22.99 seconds (B))

This one is what I meant. I've done that tute ages ago too. Updated my gallery with the forum change & so it isn't there now in my gallery but it is a fantastic tute. Well worth a go.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012