Camera Plugin...?

In the menu, the "Aquire" choice shows "Scanner or Camera", so is there a plugin for adding a camera to aquire a still image from an on board webcam...? I have searched through the forums and haven't found anything mentioning or discussing about aquiring an image from an attached webcam or external camera attached through the computer in use...

"...life is what happens to you while you're busy makin' other plans..." john lennon

17 minutes ago, Red ochre said:

Not sure if this is relevant or not but possibly an alternative? (haven't tried it myself)

The plugin installs OK for me and does run.

However, although my laptop's webcam light turns on to indicate that the camera has been activated, nothing is shown in the plugin's preview window.

When the Capture button is clicked, a progress indicator appears in paint.net's status bar but it animates forever and no image appears.

An exception is raised when I close the plugin:

Spoiler

File: C:\Users\Martin\Documents\paint.net App Files\Effects\TRsSelfeez.dll
Effect Name: TRsSelfeez.EffectPlugin
Full error message: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception
 ---> System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
   at TRsSelfeez.EffectPlugin.OnSetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect.SetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken newToken, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs) in D:\src\pdn\src\Effects.Core\Effects\Effect.cs:line 169
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect.ClassicEffectRenderer.SetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken newToken, RenderArgs dstArgs) in D:\src\pdn\src\Effects.Core\Effects\Effect.cs:line 565
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.ThreadFunction() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 373
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.DrainExceptions() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 560
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.Abort() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 512
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.<>c__DisplayClass47_4.<RunEffectImpl>b__9() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 1124

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tactilis said:

The plugin installs OK for me and does run.

However, although my laptop's webcam light turns on to indicate that the camera has been activated, nothing is shown in the plugin's preview window.

When the Capture button is clicked, a progress indicator appears in paint.net's status bar but it animates forever and no image appears.

An exception is raised when I close the plugin:

Hide contents

File: C:\Users\Martin\Documents\paint.net App Files\Effects\TRsSelfeez.dll
Effect Name: TRsSelfeez.EffectPlugin
Full error message: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception
 ---> System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
   at TRsSelfeez.EffectPlugin.OnSetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect.SetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken newToken, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs) in D:\src\pdn\src\Effects.Core\Effects\Effect.cs:line 169
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect.ClassicEffectRenderer.SetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken newToken, RenderArgs dstArgs) in D:\src\pdn\src\Effects.Core\Effects\Effect.cs:line 565
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.ThreadFunction() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 373
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.DrainExceptions() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 560
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.Abort() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 512
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.<>c__DisplayClass47_4.<RunEffectImpl>b__9() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 1124

Confirmed with exactly the same results.

21 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

This isn't a question of having a plugin, it's dependent on your camera's drivers

Thanks for the response, Rick... Appreciate it... Pardon the newbie question: Are there instructions listed in the forum as to how I go about checking the camera's drivers to show the camera via the 'Aquire' menu choice...? I use a Logitech C920 HD webcam... Thank you...

"...life is what happens to you while you're busy makin' other plans..." john lennon

4 minutes ago, ScootCoot said:

Are there instructions listed in the forum as to how I go about checking the camera's drivers

You can open Control Panel > Device Manager, right click on your camera and select Properties > Driver Details

Camera-driver.png

However, if your camera is currently not accessible via paint.net, then it is likely that the manufacturer does not provided drivers compatible with WIA.

I've tried my Integrated Webcam, a USB Logitech Webcam, and a no-name USB Webcam. All of them are non-WIA and, as above, use the standard Windows drivers.

• Like 1

An update on the above 👆

According to https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wia/-wia-wia-camera-devices:

WIA does not support cameras in Windows Vista or later. For those versions of the Windows, use the Windows Portable Device (WPD) API described in the Windows Driver Development Kit (DDK) to acquire images from cameras.

So it looks like you are out of luck because on Windows 10 and 11, WIA is only used for scanners.

@Rick Brewster, should the menu be changed to just Acquire > From scanner ?

I'm assuming that there is little appetite for adding support for WPD in addition WIA.

• Like 1

File->Acquire and File->Print both need to be ripped out and redone, I just haven't found a good time to do either. WIA is super legacy tech at this point and I'm surprised they haven't removed it from the OS yet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg