Paint.NET in the professional workforce

julper

Hi everyone,

not to toot my own horn too much but I am a self-trained artist who's been a die-hard proponent of Paint.NET since I was about 10 years old. Somehow I've gotten away with using the program throughout my career as an artist to date and have landed gigs at Dr. Seuss and currently Mattel using the same program, along with just about every single plugin I could force onto any given machine.

What can I say? It just works!

ITT I'll post some of the creations which I have clearance to publicize along with older posts I may have left on an older account from when I was about 18. I really love this program and am willing to jump through all sorts of barbed flaming hoops to keep using it because I do believe it is just as on-par with Adobe's suite or whatever they tell me to use.

a taste of what's already been dripfed on my public portfolios:

9v5wt3.jpg

3f2f88179956259.Y3JvcCwxMjc4LDEwMDAsOTQsf3e2rh.jpg

sorry if the previews are too large; I am in the process of porting crucial schtuff to a newer i9 machine. Like with paint.net, I've been using increasingly more potent builds on an older and older craptop until Matty picked me up tail end of 2023: some stuff's happening right now I can't delve into but I was able to FINALLY upgrade during it all...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

These predate my actual hire date by a bit but I figured it's worth sharing because at some point during onboarding I had to disclose stuff to corpo they thought would be of interest in accordance to their non-compete agreements. Robbie's retroactively official stock that they may use in future designs but they said I get to keep the template for emojis since I could prove I made a massive backlog of em before even applying (and before AI tools made it like insanely easier for anyone to prompt decent quality stuff!) - the other stickers I've made since are largely Mattel owned since it uses their characters on their dime and made for use with their promos you may or may not ever see anytime soon... The funny girl w/ pink hair was for a fan convention I was with for a couple years through covid I also had to part ways with largely because Matty hired me.

re9sjk.jpg

jxxbl2.jpg

[Barb] Behold, another retroactively Matty creation that fell victm to the competition agreement:

2bdqlz.png

I can't post the actual video file here apparently, but this was part of the same ~15 minutes of animation I was coughing and chugging at for my own personal stuff until I sent it to the Dr. Seuss guy who ultimately picked me up for that stretch of time. One of these days I do plan on restarting these specific projects as I've discovered new (to me) methods of time-saving that still crutch heavily on use of Paint.NET for most of the process.

(BTW, the attached image should serve as a clickable thumbnail...)

• Like 2

Skeletor....I remember watching He-Man with my boys when they were young... 😁

7 hours ago, Pixey said:

@julper now that's one scary dude 😲

Oh don't worry it's just Skeletor from the 80s kid's cartoon "He-Man" 😂

https://www.google.com/search?q=skeletor

• Haha 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

16 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

Oh don't worry it's just Skeletor from the 80s kid's cartoon "He-Man" 😂

https://www.google.com/search?q=skeletor

Random fact of the day: Skeletor of all characters is the singular breakout mascot for all things internally! There's a whole laundry list of industrial videos starring him explaining stuff like how to use ChatGPT. For that specific clip, I have my own personal collection of a lot of Filmation documents that have taught me better than post-secondary about how to art. For reasons I can't possibly fathom on account of my lacking seniority and political power, he's resonated above anyone who actually embodies Mattel's mission statement.

• Haha 2

5980sk.jpg

As part of my pre-existing indie endeavors, I've found lots of use for PDN in lettering and lineart alike. I have several rosters of designs made solo or under commission from others like Mattel or Seuss, and using other programs to trace these absurd resolution rasters into vector nodes and importing that to a working font file I've gotten quite addicted to just the act of manual lettering with this program. If it's acceptable to post tutorials involving other programs I'd be happy to share my process for stuff like creating fonts, animating cartoons and such all through heavily using Paint.net!