How can I turn an oil painting into a 'normal' drawing

Go to solution Solved by Welsh Yellow Cheddar,

sorry for the vague description, but here's what i'd like to do. i have an image of an oil painting. and i'd like to simply turn it into a normal drawning. my main issue is the visible painting paste tracks. i tried using the blur filter, but that didn't work. there's not enough sharpness. any idea about how to achieve this

Thank you

• Tactilis changed the title to How can I turn oil painting into a 'normal' drawing
4 hours ago, jpaulNotAvailable said:

sorry for the vague description...

any idea about how to achieve this

It would help to see the image of the oil painting. At the moment you are asking people to be mind readers!

Can you upload your image to imgur or postimages.org and paste the link here.

Also, please explain what you mean by "a normal drawing". Do you mean a pencil sketch? A charcoal sketch? An ink sketch? A pastel drawing? There are many possibilities.

• Like 1

• Tactilis changed the title to How can I turn an oil painting into a 'normal' drawing

yes this is correct there are many drawnings types. as i'm not a drawning expert i forgot this. i just want to edit the followimg image so that the topography isn't visible anymore. if you look at the image up close, you'll see that there is some topography caused by the painting paste

4uhSBpt.png

5 hours ago, jpaulNotAvailable said:

if you look at the image up close, you'll see that there is some topography caused by the painting paste

It's still not clear exactly what you want?

The painting is 'Lie to me'  by Lana Frey and it looks as though you (or someone) has taken a small/low resolution version of the image and resized it to be larger.

Looking the the top of the woman's shoulder, you can see a lot of compression artefacts (which I've deliberately enhanced here):

Lie-to-me-1.png
Is that what you mean by "some topography caused by the painting paste"?

Higher resolution (i.e. higher quality) copies of the image are available that don't have the artefacts:

Lie-to-me-2.png

They also include the artist's signature, which for some reason has been erased from your image.

• Like 1

this is a very interesting point. copyright respect/infrigment is very important in what i'm doing (video game development). the short version is that i own the rights to use that image.

i conceed that the explanation is still a bit unclear. But i'm not anglo-saxon so maybe i express myself not perfectly. so last try i don't want the image to look like an oil painting at all. today i'll try Pixey solution, and see how it goes

• Like 1

Another option: Try Effects > Color > Quantize. Set the Dithering level to zero, then progressively lower the number of colors. When you get down to a color count of less than six most of the detail will be reduced/blended into neighboring regions.

lietome.png

• Like 2