Turn The Image of a 2D Character Sideways

Go to solution Solved by lynxster4,

I am working with a character maker that only makes flat, 2D characters. I want to use Paint.Net to turn the character slightly sideways, so that they are not directly facing the camera. I have used Grid Warp by pyrochild to try to achieve this goal. The results are passible, but not ideal. Is there a better way to do this, wether that be a better technique with Grid Warp or another plugin all together.

Original Image:

Spoiler

S-Fear.png

Edited with Grid Warp:

Spoiler

s-twist.png

Obviously, you can't really "turn the character slightly sideways, so that they are not directly facing the camera" since doing that correctly would require making visible part of the character's side - but you don't have those pixels available.

To do it correctly, you would need a 3D model of the character that you can rotate as desired and then render as 2D.

You may be able to achieve a small improvement on your use of Grid Warp by the subtle use of one of these plugins:

• Solution

Hi @City.  You may be able to use these steps to achieve something close to what you want:

Expand your canvas to 350px wide.

Apply (2) AA's Assistant to get rid of the faint black outline (especially on the yellow arms)

Layers-->Rotate/Zoom at 0,0,45,0,-0.01,1,8  (I used 45 just to show example)

Object-->Trail at 8,1,150 (or something close)

Apply 1 more AA's Assistant and possibly do a little touch-up with the smudge tool. Maybe this will fit the bill.

S-Fear_rotated.png            S-Fear_rotated_smudged.png

• Like 1

@City there is a way to 'swivel' by using the Rotate/Zoom, as @lynxster4 shows.

You may want to look at this post, just out of interest:  https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/31665-make-an-animated-gif-with-midoras-plugin/?do=findComment&comment=429235

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.