Recent PDN Download on new Windows 11 Computer

Go to solution Solved by Rick Brewster,

New window 11 computer (goodbye 10 and office 2007)  ...which I am also working to acclimate too.

Paint.Net download 5.0.2 from MS Store  / Did start with MS Microsoft account in error and then converted to "Local" Account which I want.

Would like to start out with PDN Files  in preferred location. Surprised to find the paths defaulted here:

C:\Users\tucso\AppData\Local\Packages\dotPDNLLC.paint.net_h55e3w7q8jbva\LocalCache\Local
and
C:\Users\tucso\AppData\Local\Packages\dotPDNLLC.paint.net_h55e3w7q8jbva

I plan to drag files to C:\Program Files\     can you confirm that's right with my adding a Paint.Net Folder there first.
Also when I download the Plugins can I use that same folder.

I tried to read and read all the directions but a confirmation would do my heart good before I actually do this. 
I am very grateful for all your brain trusts and this amazing community.

Edited by Twig
Title was incorrect

• Twig changed the title to Recent PDN Download on new Windows 11 Computer
  • Solution

You shouldn't (and can't) move the installation files for the Microsoft Store release of the app. Even if you could it will break all sorts of things.

For installing plugins, they simply go into a different location for the Store release. Read here: https://getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html

• Like 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

18 minutes ago, Twig said:

I plan to drag files to C:\Program Files\     can you confirm that's right with my adding a Paint.Net Folder there first.

The Microsoft Store version of PDN has plugins installed in a different location than the classic version.

See https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html#4

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Yes, the Store version is slightly different.  You need to create new folders manually:

1.  Navigate to Documents folder and make a new file named paint.net App Files

2.  Then in that folder create three sub folders Effects, File Types and Shapes

3.  Use those folders to add any unzipped Effects or File types, and of course, add your shapes to the Shapes folder.

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

1 hour ago, Rick Brewster said:

You shouldn't (and can't) move the installation files for the Microsoft Store release of the app. Even if you could it will break all sorts of things.

For installing plugins, they simply go into a different location for the Store release. Read here: https://getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html

Thank you so much for letting me know. So those two paths I copied are right where they belong!  Whew glad I asked. Cheers!

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

Yes, the Store version is slightly different.  You need to create new folders manually:

1.  Navigate to Documents folder and make a new file named paint.net App Files

2.  Then in that folder create three sub folders Effects, File Types and Shapes

3.  Use those folders to add any unzipped Effects or File types, and of course, add your shapes to the Shapes folder.

Just downloaded my first plugin Boltbait's pack  on this new computer after arm wrestling with windows 11 reputational-based protection/Check apps and files.

Since I have this shine new computer does it make sense to go down the list and add most that make sense I'd use?  Even in this first pack I see something I'll use that I didn't know was there. I'm a bit old and slow so setting things up smartly now will be easier on me.  (spent a good hour figuring out whatsetting change to get the download working. 🥴 thoughts very welcome!  thanks again.

On 3/10/2023 at 4:19 PM, Twig said:
  • Update -all advice above was a 'solution'. Rick Brewster point was critical help of course. I was so excited that the files open in the folders I solution this and couldn't undo it. 
  • Just and  FYI I do use Norton and had to disable auto-protect. It gave me a timer which worked with using the [control key] WA LA!
  • On the bright side this morning before solving the download challenge I notice the v5.0 and only downloaded those that applied.
  • Working! Happy Dancing! Thanks again!
Edited by Twig
removed disabled smart firewall

1 hour ago, Twig said:

Rick Brewster point was critical help of course. I was so excited that the files open in the folders I solution this and couldn't undo it. 

I can fix that for you, thank you :) 

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.