Switch paint.net Version

Sleims

Older versions are not supported in any way.

You probably just need to install updated versions of the plugins. Click on Effect -> Plugin Errors to see which ones.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I'm sorry I just don't understand this attitude in regard to questions about using older PDN versions. It seems to me, from a promotional and marketing perspective, counter intuitive.

There are plenty of people here who are willing to answer questions about using those versions if they can. What does it matter if a particular  user wants to use those older versions? They're still potential PDN enthusiasts who will eventually migrate to the newest version. Surely there should be a friendly welcome to the fold not the thread immediately closed after a curt response to update their PC and/or OS if such questions are asked?

You do not have to answer or take any part in the conversation, it doesn't waste your time if you just ignore them and let those who, for often good reasons, can only use previous PDN versions at least get some help from others here with the time and inclination to respond.

IHaveNoName.png

3 hours ago, IHaveNoName said:

I just don't understand this attitude in regard to questions about using older PDN versions.

Time management and allocation of resources. Rick is moving forward with PDN 5+. There isn't time to support/help/debug/assist users with problems usually stemming from a legacy version.

In this case the OP wants to reinstall an old version of PDN when the correct path forward is to update the plugins. This advice was given by Rick himself.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IHaveNoName said:

user wants to use those older versions?

A lot of the Plugins will have been updated to 5.0 and upwards.  So, someone using an older version, will depend on the previous versions. If they didn't keep copies, then they will be asking for them.  It would get very complicated!

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

It just seems this matter is really just about where the poster posted the thread; that's completely understandable. It wastes RB's time sifting through reports etc about problems not related to the current version.

However I see that this thread was actually moved here from the PDN general questions and discussions forum. The original poster was not to blame for that, he actually posted in the right place.

So how do you stop that sort of mistake happening?

It won't stop all such incidents but how about creating a sub-form for older versions trouble shooting and questions with the clear warning to users that it will have no support from RB or any of the plugin creators etc or at least those not minded to respond?

If a thread about an older version is posted in the wrong place there would now be somewhere dedicated to such matters to move it to rather than simply closing it.

That way it might cut down some of those posting in the wrong place. That is mostly through ignorance, I suspect, because they have not understood the troubleshooting/bug thread is only for the current PDN version.

Those accidentally using or choosing to use older versions of PDN and/or plugins, for the many good reasons there are for that, would have somewhere to go to ask for help too, ensuring that they don't feel rejected or embarrassed that they've wasted RB's valuable time.    

IHaveNoName.png

2 hours ago, IHaveNoName said:

It just seems this matter is really just about where the poster posted the thread

No it's not -- IIRC, I moved it from General to Troubleshooting. A forwarding link was left behind. People make this mistake all the time and it's not a big deal. I usually only comment when it's blatantly in the wrong section, like posting a random question in one of the Plugins sections.

2 hours ago, IHaveNoName said:

how about creating a sub-form for older versions

No. No support means no support. You're literally asking for a support forum for something that isn't supported, which is a contradiction.

There is no support for older versions. End of discussion. Stop already.

• Like 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg