I could use a hand with plugins ..

I'm hoping someone can help me install plugins.  I've tried the Microsoft store version and added the folders (names EXACTLY as given in the 'how to install plugins' instructions on this website).  I've tried the separately-downloaded installer (after uninstalling the MS store version).  I believe that I've followed all the required steps, including 'unblocking' via Properties on the DLL (and that other file), but no plugin works.  There's something that I missed but careful re-reading of the 'how to install' instructions hasn't discovered what it is.  Is there something I need to do on a Win 10 machine, or with the Paint.NET installation settings, to enable adding plugins?  What questions can I answer so someone here can help troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance ... 

Edited by TaterHead

Might help to know exactly what plugins are involved.

Something like BoltBait's plugin pack, which is pretty much a must have, uses an installer menu tool which should install all the plugins or selected plugins correctly without any user involvement at all.

So the questions are: have the plugins been installed, why they are not working and what exactly does "not working" mean? Does it mean the plugins aren't listed in the PDN Effects menu or are they there but just not functioning?

Edited by IHaveNoName
typos

IHaveNoName.png

2 hours ago, IHaveNoName said:

Something like BoltBait's plugin pack, which is pretty much a must have, uses an installer menu tool which should install the all the plugins or selected plugins correctly without any user involvement at all.

Thank you for the kind words.

@TaterHead, I do recommend starting with my plugin pack. It will create the proper directories for you and then fill them.  Once you've done that and see that it works, you can add additional plugins into the directories that were created for you.

Start here:  https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/113220-boltbaits-plugin-pack-for-pdn-v4212-and-beyond-updated-july-16-2020/

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay ... been busy.

1. I will install boltbait's plugin (thanks)

2. My effects folder is: C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects - see attachment.  2 other files placed into C:C:\Program Files\paint.net - the OptionBasedLibrary files

3. "Not working" means I should see the parallel lines functionality in the Effects->Render menu, but do not.  I don't see the circular text (which depends on parallel lines) anywhere either.  I have already 'unblocked' each file and restarted Paint.net

effects.jpg

options.jpg

Edited by TaterHead

OK ... I uninstalled Paint.Net, removed all folders/files associated with trying to get plugins to install properly (documents/, program files/).  After complete clean-up, installed paint.net again (the .exe, not MS Store) ... and then BoltBait's pack.

All is well.  I'm not going to try other plugins yet ... I suspect the BoltBait's has what I need.  So .. THANK YOU everyone!

3 hours ago, TaterHead said:

2 other files placed into C:C:\Program Files\paint.net - the OptionBasedLibrary files

The OptionBasedLibrary files must be placed in the Effects folder, they should never be placed in the main Paint.NET folder.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait