Crash caused by viewing fonts

The host CLR processes for paint.net may be crashing.

Right after the paint.net crashes, please open the Windows' Event Viewer and look in the Application log. (Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application)

The items should be sorted by datetime, so the most recent item should be at the top of the list.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

15 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Right after the paint.net crashes, please open the Windows' Event Viewer and look in the Application log. (Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application)

The items should be sorted by datetime, so the most recent item should be at the top of the list.

Good/bad news: the application is no longer crashing for some reason, so I'm unable to replicate the crash and get the error. I'll give an update here if it occurs again.

17 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Hang on, I think I found it.
Application: paintdotnet.exe
CoreCLR Version: 6.0.121.56705
.NET Version: 6.0.1
Description: The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP 00007FF8499BD61B (00007FF8497F0000) with exit code c0000006.

Usually when there's a crash with the font list, it's due to a bad/corrupted font. Unfortunately we don't get any information as to which font is causing the issue, but usually it's any that you've recently installed.

You can also try running sfc /scannow at an elevated/administrator command prompt. It's possible one of the built-in Windows fonts has become corrupted, or there is other system damage for some reason.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

15 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

Usually when there's a crash with the font list, it's due to a bad/corrupted font. Unfortunately we don't get any information as to which font is causing the issue, but usually it's any that you've recently installed.

I haven't installed any fonts recently. It never crashed from fonts until now (because of this update, I assume).

16 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

You can also try running sfc /scannow at an elevated/administrator command prompt. It's possible one of the built-in Windows fonts has become corrupted, or there is other system damage for some reason.

I'll see if this fixes anything.

57 minutes ago, Pixey said:

@BenTheMiner is PDN still crashing when you try the font?  Are you using the version 4.3.7?

It's not crashing anymore for some reason. Yes, I am using version 4.3.7. I don't know what the font that was causing the problem is nor did I remove any fonts. It seems to have fixed itself, but I'll give an update if it crashes again.

9 minutes ago, BenTheMiner said:

It's not crashing anymore for some reason.

There are days when we get visits from these little imps gremlin-2.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

49 minutes ago, BenTheMiner said:

What?

You've never heard of Gremlins - joke 😁

Around here (the forum) we often say we've been visited by Gremlins to mess up our computers.  I do hope you didn't think I was being rude to you 😊

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Error 1: Event ID 1000

Faulting application name: paintdotnet.exe, version: 4.308.8083.2561, time stamp: 0x61e1d8d9
Faulting module name: coreclr.dll, version: 6.0.222.6406, time stamp: 0x61e1d09e
Exception code: 0xc0000006
Fault offset: 0x00000000001cd72f
Faulting process id: 0x3b34
Faulting application start time: 0x01d82e937ed51ed7
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\paint.net\paintdotnet.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\paint.net\coreclr.dll
Report Id: 1f62cfb5-6be9-4173-b388-1e08b9bc5551
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Error 2: Event ID 1005

Windows cannot access the file  for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program paint.net because of this error.

Program: paint.net
File: 

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
    - It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
    - It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: 00000000
Disk type: 0

• 4 weeks later...