Cleaning up .NET

RE:

If I'm exclusively targeting .NET 5 with my plugins from now on, can I safely remove these from my system?

image.png

And how about these?

image.png

It's fine. You can safely remove those. Support for Framework until version 4.6.1 will end on April 2022 anyway. 

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/net-framework-4-5-2-4-6-4-6-1-will-reach-end-of-support-on-april-26-2022/

.NET Core until v3.0 has already ended.

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/platform/support/policy/dotnet-core

I'm going to do that now as well.

17 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

I would recommend removing them via the Visual Studio Installer, because it will tell you if there's anything else depending on them.

image.png

Interestingly, this panel doesn't show me .NET Core SDKs. It just says .NET SDK. I can only see them at Apps & features panel. From there, I uninstalled them without any problem.

image.png.e3783409d5c8318654c48f3293e9a970.png

• Upvote 1

You guys are great!  Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Here's a little story to share regarding 4.5.

I came across a solution that failed to build because I was missing 4.5. The app was a few years old and I wanted to try it out. took me awhile to find the correct installation file that would allow VS2022 to recognize 4.5 was installed. Prior to installing 4.5, when I was selecting an .ico file in project properties, then changing the build action to embedded resource, the panel would jump to compile C#, and I would have to select embedded resource once again.

Since installing Net 4.5, it no longer jumps, but accepts embedded resource right away.

Hard to believe such an old framework would have an effect on VS2022.

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png