Suggestion for this forum

Hi, I noticed animated png do not work in this forum if uploaded from here. It takes a lot less space than gif format and gif is really outdated given new animation formats. I would like to be able to upload animated png here.

The workaround is to upload to a site that accepts animated png, and then post it here as a png.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

I am away from this forum for undetermined amount of time: If you really need anything related to my PDN plugin or my G'MIC filter within G'MIC plugin, then you can contact me via Paint.NET discord, and mention me.

It seems the Invision software strips out all the additional frames when you attach the file. (assumption based on the fact that the file size is greatly reduced)

I believe you'll need to submit your Feature Request to IPS, Inc. :

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/forum/499-feedback-and-ideas/

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

We identified a security issue a couple of years back with some file types we were allowing. These were disallowed.

26 minutes ago, Reptillian said:

The workaround is to upload to a site that accepts animated png, and then post it here as a png.

^ This is the method you should employ for all images you post here. Your file allocation will run out pretty quick if you're uploading images here.

1 hour ago, Reptillian said:

Hi, I noticed animated png do not work in this forum if uploaded from here. It takes a lot less space than gif format and gif is really outdated given new animation formats. I would like to be able to upload animated png here.

Why do you think that animated png is smaller file size than gif? That's never been the case in my testing done years ago. Animated png makes better quality, but larger file size. WebP is definitely more efficient, but support for it is very poor.

69unju0.gif

1 hour ago, toe_head2001 said:

It seems the Invision software strips out all the additional frames when you attach the file. (assumption based on the fact that the file size is greatly reduced)

I believe you'll need to submit your Feature Request to IPS, Inc. :

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/forum/499-feedback-and-ideas/

If I ever get in the mood to do this and don't forget this, I will certainly do this. If it get passed, I should let someone here know, who should know first? I believe it would be @Rick Brewster

26 minutes ago, dipstick said:

Why do you think that animated png is smaller file size than gif? That's never been the case in my testing done years ago. Animated png makes better quality, but larger file size. WebP is definitely more efficient, but support for it is very poor.

I tested it recently again. In my Fibonacci Texture example picture in the g'mic thread, the gif version was 339 KB where the png version is 59 KB.

APNG wins vs GIF here - http://littlesvr.ca/apng/gif_apng_webp5.html

Same here - https://lukeroberts.tv/blog/gif-vs-animated-png/

The evidence definitely indicates APNG is better than GIF.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

I am away from this forum for undetermined amount of time: If you really need anything related to my PDN plugin or my G'MIC filter within G'MIC plugin, then you can contact me via Paint.NET discord, and mention me.

3 hours ago, dipstick said:

You can do that because you're hosting it on your server. I don't know any hosting site that supports WebP, usually only gif.

My image storage is on a GoDaddy server. Whether or not apng or webp files will run on the viewers computer is dependent on the browser that the viewer is using to receive the Internet content. The palette cycling butterfly webp animation above is not from Godaddy, but is linked to its source.

This apng animation is linked to its source for wikimedia:
Ikosaeder-Animation.png

BTW:
Currently; my browser of choice is Opera.

Edited by HyReZ