Boxed Effect help

Sonoroho

Start with a standard picture in the right size.  You'll need my plugin pack installed and your primary color should be black and secondary color white.

Select your starting picture layer.

Use the selection tool :Selection: to select one rectangle.

Press Ctrl+X followed by Ctrl+Shift+V.

Run the Effects > Selection > Outline Selection (Outline width: 1, Color: black)

Repeat for each rectangle you wish to have in your final image.  Start with the squares you want as the top most layers.

Select your starting picture layer.

Press Ctrl+A followed by Shift+Backspace (This should fill your background layer with white.)

Save as PNG file (flattening as required.)

For an advanced look, before saving, press Ctrl+D, then select one of the square layers and run Effects > Object > Object Shadow (all defaults).  Repeat for a handful of those layers... the ones that look like they're at the top most level.

47e475c3b2dffab9940ecf8337e44162.png

Well...it isn't horrible. XD Thank you BoltBait for the help. :D

Edit: I just need to figure out how to make it look neater and more boxes. XD

Ok, I tried again. 

caab3c9cf5602ce55a67a697bda4fc10.png

Hmmm.

Edited by Sonoroho
Added a second comment.

I would start by creating a Canvas with the dimensions of your desired end result and fill the space with a chroma-key type green.
Create a new layer that is transparent.
Disable anti-aliasing
Select Black for primary color and White for your secondary color
Select the appropriate Brush width for the outline of your assorted Rectangles
Select Draw Fill Shape With Outline and draw your assorted overlapped rectangles

Merge top and bottom layers
Make White transparent Globally
Import your cartoon layer and move under your rectangle layer and merge
Make the chroma-key green color transparent Globally
Done!
 Figure_1.jpg

36 minutes ago, Sonoroho said:

Well...it isn't horrible.

It is a good start.

Here's the thing:  As you start out, select the squares you want on the top most layer and do those.  Then, when you go back to the source layer, select overlapping squares and process those.  You'll see that they neatly work fine as the overlapping part is already processed from above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sonoroho said:

47e475c3b2dffab9940ecf8337e44162.png

Well...it isn't horrible. XD Thank you BoltBait for the help. :D

Edit: I just need to figure out how to make it look neater and more boxes. XD

Ok, I tried again. 

caab3c9cf5602ce55a67a697bda4fc10.png

Hmmm.

Hi @Sonoroho, excuse me for eavesdropping. Your attempt at what Boltbait told you is good just try taking your first picture and put it on top of your second picture then flatten it and see what you have. Or try the other way around.

• Like 1

I put all of my overlapping rectangles on a single layer, but if you use BaitBolt's advice you can use a variety of layers and this will allow you to re-stack the rectangle layers to get the overlapping that is most pleasing before merging down. Save your work to a PND first so that you may rearrange layers if you change your mind about the composition.

• Like 1

Not quite the same effect, but worthy of inclusion in this discussion is my Woven Photo plugin.

Run it multiple times over the same image. Each time use a different spacing and size.

frozen-box-set.jpg

• Like 2

And after you flatten it take the Magic Wand and select an empty part of the picture, go to Edit and select invert selection. And invert it and choose the Outline Object plugin with probably a 2 pixel width. Or you might prefer to do something else. It's just something to jazz it up that you might like.

The Woven Photo plugin is a good idea also.

Edited by Woodsy
  • Like 1

@Sonoroho

I used the Adjusments > Black and White to convert my background to gray scale
and I used the Adjusments > Brightnes / Contrast to alter the values of the gray scaled backgrounds

Keep pressing on!

Edited by HyReZ

Also, Hyrez...what do I do after grey-scaling it? I tried using curves...but didn't get much from it. Is there any chance you could do a tutorial for me on how you did yours?

In my composition I converted my background layer to gray scale and the boxed layer that is in full color is placed on top.

I did not use curves, I used the brightness / contrast plugin sliders to get the levels that I thought were pleasing.

I am working on a few tee-shirt design projects now and won't have the time to work on a tutorial.
You have the baics already. Just play around with it. Total immersion is a good way to learn sometimes.

Edited by HyReZ
Correcting spelling and adding more nfo!
  • Like 1

Nfo. XD

Anyways, I can't get it to look right. Which layers do I merge after the background is grey-scale and as bright as I want it?

It appears that you have gotten the hang of it to me!
It is a good idea to disable anti-aliasing in the early stages of the design

it makes it difficult for the Wand tool to do a neat job and it makes the squares outline neater also!
I also suggest that you make your shadows less opaque and soften them a bit.

Press on!

Edited by HyReZ