Crop a pic to a standard size

I have a digital pic and want to crop and then print it out as a high-quality 5x7. when I click to "rectangle select" and then select "fixed ratio" with a width of 400 and height of 300, I believe that will preserve the overall ratio of the picture so that whatever image I crop I can then print out in a standard size. I may be wrong on this. Another option is to select fixed size, inches, and go with 5x7, but then the selection box is insanely small. How the heck do I do this? I've gone through the various parts of this forum and am no closer to a solution than when I started. Whomever tries to answer this, pretend you are talking to an idiot :) Cuz I am when it comes to photo editing  ;) 

36 minutes ago, mdr84 said:

Another option is to select fixed size, inches, and go with 5x7, but then the selection box is insanely small.

It really depends on the resolution of the given image. Some images have 96 pixel per inch, some have 300 pixels per inch, ect.

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

The short answer(s):  

Make the fixed size of the rectangle select tool 2100 * 1500 pixels and crop to that. This size will print at 300DPI to make a 5*7 inch image.

• Like 1

Thank you, totally get the Costco option, do it all the time...in this case I'm trying to "get smart" on a hopefully simple photo editing task to turn this digital image into a cropped standard-sized photo. I just tried Ego Eram Reputo's idea but the cropbox that size is too small for the image I want to capture...I went up a level and did 2800 * 2000 pixels and that is also not doing the trick...maybe the image I want post-cropping is just too wide for a standard 5x7.

Any other ideas?

400x300 is a 1.3:1 ratio 7x5 is 1.4:1 so isn't that at least one problem?

The question I'd ask is what is the size/format ratio of the original picture because if that isn't a1.4:1 ratio you're going to lose picture content if you crop or, alternatively, introduce distortion if you resize to a 1.4:1 ratio?

I've not sure I've understood the "insanely small" selection box problem but it sounds as if you're trying to use a 7x5 selection box with a full size image displaying in pixels. You need to use 1.4:1 selection box of the appropriate pixel dimensions for the image concerned.

In HyReZ's example: 5344x3008 that's a 1.7+:1 ratio so to crop it to 1.4:1 you'd need to use a selection box of 4211x3008 or alternatively 5344x3817 ie. full width but with borders top and bottom as in the screenshot shown.

Very much as he suggests rather than mess around with selection box sizes just start a new picture of an appropriate width for the photo with a 1:4:1 ratio and paste the photo in as a new layer. It would seem to be the most obvious solution. If it is too small ie. one of the photo's dimensions is too big then you'll be warned of that when you try to paste it in. With the "Maintain aspect ratio" box ticked just increase the canvas size to accommodate it.

You can then adjust the photo to best fit the oversize 1.4:1 canvas or reduce the canvas size but maintaining the ratio if you decide you don't mind losing content.

When you want to print it use Resize to give you a 7"x5" print

Edited by IHaveNoName
  • Like 1

IHaveNoName.png

7 hours ago, mdr84 said:

It's a jpg, 4032x1960, 993 KB...goal is to get a 5x7 pic printed that is still great quality...

^^ this is your problem. Whatever resolution you choose, it's not going to scale the image to exactly fit in a 5x7 image.

RATIOS.png

7 hours ago, mdr84 said:

maybe the image I want post-cropping is just too wide for a standard 5x7.

Yup. you nailed it.

You're going to have to either crop something out of the image, or distort it. @BoltBait has a really clever plugin which can reduce an image height or width with minimal distortion. It's called Seam Carving - find it here:

• Like 2