Marketing Paint.Net

Okay i know this has been touched on before, and turned down, but my question is a little different.

When PDN4 is released, why not market it more openly as a modern software package? The website you download it from feels very oldschool, and things could be so much better! Now im not saying a NEW logo, just a few improvements over the current one, you know, to bring it up to todays trends.

The new site could be really simple, and nobody has to actually "build" it (of course maintenance is involved), there are plenty of themes out there that are so raw you can't even tell they are themes! 

I just don't feel that Paint.Net's current visual presence does the software itself justice, you know?

And apologies, im not very good at getting my point across :P

Heres something i whizzed up, working on a rough website look aswell

Ce6NeB2.jpg

It still holds the original colours, because we all love that, and a similar font!

I'm quite passionate about this and you can be sure ill bring it up again!

R0ctxap.jpg

Just a work in progress^^^^

Also, if nobody would do this, this summer after my exams i would LOVE to!! 

Edited by SAND33P

eOdUjVm.jpg

I'm sure Rick has plans in place for the website.  If he wanted our suggestions and input I'm sure he would mention it  ;)

BTW your website link gives me this error

Error establishing a database connection

Uh, since the topic of marketing is brought up, here's some comments, the first of which I hope won't upset.

I remember reading someone online mentioning that paint.net is too intertwined with Windows, instead of more independent, which therefore causes it to either use more memory, or take over memory. (I forget which...The guy's lingo was quite technical). ...the point is, I'm sorta curious if there's a way to make paint.net more independent, which could then make it popular with tech geeks, and I guess also with those who have very slow computers.

Secondly re: marketing, Paint.net can offer very clear (dummie-friendly) YouTube Tutorials explaining to people how to create bumper stickers, including a link to the cheapest place to buy vinyl decal paper. Furthemore, the subject of the bumper-sticker tutorial should be an Designing an Adorable Paint.Net Logo. So if anyone goes to YouTube, and keys in: "how to design stickers" or "design stickers and print" or other such permutations, then the Paint.net bumper-sticker tutorial would display, and people could design, print & stick them on their bumpers. Voila - publicity.

I personally wish there'd be sites which let people print bumper stickers re: futuristic health repaircare vs. sickcare. A futuristic example is this, though actually bone marrow (not fat) is way more regenerative - http://www.lifestemgenetics.com/_img/use-your-fat-stem-cells-for-treatment.jpg

I'm most comfortable with Advocates of Transparent RepairCare (vs. Stealthcare) no matter their graphic expertise.

blind_plight_minipic.jpg

the point is, I'm sorta curious if there's a way to make paint.net more independent, which could then make it popular with tech geeks, and I guess also with those who have very slow computers.

.NET is a Windows-only framework.  So it would need to be completely rewritten for any other platform.  Also, the name would lose all meaning.  :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Yep.  And there was an attempt to port Paint.NET to mono, but it was buggy and frankly never went anywhere.  I haven't heard anything about paint.mono in a long time.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

That's funny. I made a very similar post a while ago. :http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27741-the-website/

Well I think it's clear...You have my back! :D

This.

Personally, I think the current logo is beautiful, and I really liked Haeri's website design (shortcut for those who don't want to look for it).

Maybe I'm just advocating the old logo out of sentiment, but before you start judging, click on the link and see it in a shinier context.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

.NET is a Windows-only framework.  So it would need to be completely rewritten for any other platform.  Also, the name would lose all meaning.  :-)

I see - I hear - I conked out B) (mostly from trying to decipher what a CS nazi is.

P.S. Aside from marketing, what's the radio of newbs to pro's dabbling in Paint.net? If there's more of the former, it may be nice to classify forums by levels such as newbs, intermediates & advanced. That way newbs & untalented dummies might feel less like nursery kids amid collegiates.

Edited by minni

I'm most comfortable with Advocates of Transparent RepairCare (vs. Stealthcare) no matter their graphic expertise.

blind_plight_minipic.jpg

I see - I hear - I conked out B) (mostly from trying to decipher what a CS nazi is.

Comic Sans Nazi = someone who hates Comic Sans and would like to see its use ended.  (Rightly so! :))

P.S. Aside from marketing, what's the radio of newbs to pro's dabbling in Paint.net? If there's more of the former, it may be nice to classify forums by levels such as newbs, intermediates & advanced. That way newbs & untalented dummies might feel less like nursery kids amid collegiates.

I don't know the ratio.  I'm a professional web developer, and I know there are at least a few of us around here.  I don't know if there are any professional artists (usually because the pros need the pressure sensitivity that comes baked-in to Photoshop).

As for separating the forum out - I don't think that would be a good idea.  Especially not in three pieces.  The Tutorials section is already divided out for classification's sake, but the community really isn't big enough; no one would get any good feedback or answers that way.  Plus, it would be a NIGHTMARE for moderators.  We already have people ignoring the rules about where to post questions as it is - what will happen when we have to try and classify "noob" vs "intermediate" vs "pro"?

No, if you're a newbie, you should spend your time here reading and asking as many questions as you can.  Intermediate users should be in the same forums as the newbies, asking questions and helping answer the easier ones.  Advanced users should be in the same forums, collaborating and answering difficult questions.  If we divide the forum, there's no way for beginners to learn and the chain is broken.

• Upvote 3

I guess that makes me an anti-CS-Nazi.. and baked-in PS is better than 1/2 baked any day B)

Regarding the inefficiency of segregating newbs & advanced, I totally see your point, so perhaps I should have posted an alternative wherein some forums offer classification within the same forum.

For a simple version of what I mean, see Gardenweb Recipe Exchange below (classified by LOOKING FOR, and RECIPE).

But I've seen at least one if not more other forums which offered even more categories plus a more professional look. Unfortunately, I can't recall which they were.

Then there's also the Deals app. in slickdeals forums (see below).

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/recipex/

http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

In a similar vein, I used to use mail2world email which (at the time) enabled color-coding senders, so that Sender-John might be Blue (in your Inbox) and Sender-Jane might be Red.

Comic Sans Nazi = someone who hates Comic Sans and would like to see its use ended.  (Rightly so! :))

I don't know the ratio.  I'm a professional web developer, and I know there are at least a few of us around here.  I don't know if there are any professional artists (usually because the pros need the pressure sensitivity that comes baked-in to Photoshop).

As for separating the forum out - I don't think that would be a good idea.  Especially not in three pieces.  The Tutorials section is already divided out for classification's sake, but the community really isn't big enough; no one would get any good feedback or answers that way.  Plus, it would be a NIGHTMARE for moderators.  We already have people ignoring the rules about where to post questions as it is - what will happen when we have to try and classify "noob" vs "intermediate" vs "pro"?

No, if you're a newbie, you should spend your time here reading and asking as many questions as you can.  Intermediate users should be in the same forums as the newbies, asking questions and helping answer the easier ones.  Advanced users should be in the same forums, collaborating and answering difficult questions.  If we divide the forum, there's no way for beginners to learn and the chain is broken.

Edited by minni

blind_plight_minipic.jpg