Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ssaamm

Extreme HDR tutorial

28 posts in this topic

I have tried this tutorial on several pictures, sometimes introducing slight variations, and most times I've enjoyed the results. Like pdnnoob explains above, results vary from picture to picture and so I make slight variations to the tutorial, such as inserting intermediate layers with varying blend modes, until I get something I find desirable. So, thanks a lot to ssaamm for this pretty clear and well explained tutorial and also to pdnnoob for explaining how HDR works hi.gif

First time I did this was on a picture of Katniss Everdeen (or Jennifer Lawrence for that matter). Follows a comparison between a still from The Hunger Games movie and its HDR-tweaked version (please click on thumbnail to view the full picture):

Katniss_Original_HDR_tweak.jpg

I am a whole year late to the party, but your tutorial images are missing and the link to get the High Pass Filter leads to another which appears be broken.

Even without the images, the tutorial is not heard to follow.

I have mastered this tutorial and am very grateful.

But instead of 3 layers, I usually use  4 or 5. Of course 3 layers to complete the steps of the tutorial and when I'm done, I merge those 3 and make that a multiply or overlay layer. I lower the opacity of the merged layer so it becomes more natural in blending with another layer below it which is a backup of the original unmodified image. It makes the HDR more friendly as to not oversaturate the image. If you want to adjust the exposure, you may use the Curves or Levels tools for that, either on the topmost layer or when you've merged all the layers already.

Edited by Ishi