Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
-Expiration-

Interface Orbs - Long and Image Heavy

163 posts in this topic

Note: Since this is my first tut, as requested by Bugster, it might be a little confusing, but I hope it is good enough.

Also, I like to use (x,y) coordinates a lot when doing my pieces. You can find these in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Plugins needed:

Align Object
Transparency

1. Make a new canvas (duh). Any size you want, but its better if its a square. I will be using 600 x 600 (the largest that will fit on my screen at 100% zoom).

2. Add a new layer, name it "Base", and using the Ellipse tool on "Draw filled shape", draw a dark gray circle from (100,100) to (500,500) while holding shift.

th_SS1.png

3. Using Magic Wand set to 0% tolerance, select the outside of the circle. Invert the selection (Ctrl + I).

th_SS2.png

4. Add a new layer, name it Base Gradient. You should still have the circle selected.

Using black/white for your fore/background colors respectively, draw a gradient from the bottom edge of the

canvas to the top.

Set the Layer Blending Mode to Glow.

th_SS3.png

5. Add a new layer, name it Base Bevel. You should still have the circle selected. Using the Ellipse tool on "Draw shape outline" with a width of 15,

draw a circle from (105,105) to (495,495) while holding shift.

th_SS4.png

6. Gaussian Blur this layer by 15. Set the Transparency to about 20% Transparent.

th_SS5.png

7. Add a new layer, call it Base Brushed Metal. Fill your selection with black, add noise with 64 Intensity, 0 Color Saturation, and 100 Coverage.

Motion Blur this at a 0 degree angle with 50 Distance. Make sure Centered is checked.

th_SS6.png

Set the Layer Blending Mode to Negation.

8. Now add a new layer and call it Picture. This layer is where you are going to have what is shown in the center.

For this tutorial, I will be using a slightly adjusted Paint.NET logo.

Make sure it is a circle, and center it using Align Object.

th_SS7.png

9. Now, we want to make the inset object look shiny, so we are going to add a few reflections.

Make a new layer and call it Radial Reflection. Using the Ellipse Select tool, select a circular area a few

pixels smaller than your picture.

th_SS8.png

10. Using white as your foreground color and a fully transparent color for your background, draw a radial gradient

from the middle-bottom of your selection towards the top edge of the canvas.

th_SS9.png

11. Deselect and Gaussian Blur at 15. Set the Transparency to about 20% Transparent.

th_SS10.png

12. Make a new layer and call it Circular Reflection. Draw a white filled circle at the top of your picture.

th_SS11.png

13. Using a transparency gradient, draw a linear gradient from about 1/3 of the white circle to the bottom of the circle.

Then set the Transparency to about 50% Transparent.

th_SS12.png

14. On a new layer called Rectangular Reflections, draw four filled rectangles spaced evenly side by side.

Then draw another four filled shorter rectangles above them.

th_SS13.png

Align Object Horizontal.

15. Use Bulge at 100 in the center.

Bulge1.png

Then use a -100 Bulge towards the sides of the rectangles.

Bulge2.png

Bulge3.png

You should have something like this.

th_SS14.png

16. Using a transparency gradient, draw a vertical linear reflected gradient from the center of the picture to the outside edge.

th_SS15.png

17. Now use a transparency gradient and draw a horizontal linear reflected gradient from the center of the reflection outwards.

th_SS16.png

Adjust the Transparency if needed (to make it less harsh).

Adjust the Rectangular Reflection so it is a little below the circular reflection.

18. Create a new layer and call it Bottom Right Shadow. Go to the layer Picture and with the magic wand set at 0% tolerance, select the outer parts and invert the selection.

On the layer Bottom Right Shadow, use the Ellipse Select tool set in subtract mode and make a small crescent selection in the bottom right corner. Fill it with black.

th_SS17.png

19. Select the picture again by using the magic wand at 0% tolerance and inverting the selection, then go to Bottom Right Shadow, and Gaussian Blur at 12.

th_SS18.png

20. Now for the Top Left Shadow. So make a new layer and name it that. Then repeat step 18, except make a larger crescent selection, but in the top left corner.

Then repeat step 19, but Gaussian Blur at 30.

21. Time to make it look "inset." Make a new layer, and call it Inset Dark. Using the ellipse tool at Draw Shape Outline and a pixel width of 15,

draw a circle that partly covers the edges of your picture.

th_SS19.png

22. Duplicate the layer and name the duplicate Inset Light. Use Brightness and Contrast to turn this circle white.

th_SS20.png

23. Use a transparency linear gradient from the bottom right corner of your canvas to the top left of your canvas.

th_SS21.png

After a resize (to smooth out the edges a little), and a little more adjustment, here was my finished product:

PDNLogoresized.png

I said it before, and I am going to say it again: Simply beautiful. I have to try this sometime.

:shock:

Interfaceorb.png

the effect isn't as good with a black image, but overall great tut :D

:mtdew: :mtdew: :mtdew: :mtdew:

Very nice result!

I'm surprised people could follow my tut, since it seems a little confusing to me (the way I wrote it).

Wow. Simply wow. I had a huge idea, and now I will easily be able to create a model of it using PDN. Now, one more tut request: The swirls of paint in your sig :D

Excellent effort in creating a very effective tut :D

Geoff

Thanks for all the positive feedback. :mrgreen:

The paint swirls though are fairly easy, I will try and remake them soon.

Excellent tutorial! Keep 'em coming!

You might want to put a link to the required plugins so people don't end up bugging you here... excellent tutorial 9/10

Yes , but im first working on new signature/avatar

and because you already got it in yours im not going to steal the idea :wink:

Ok, going back to the tut, I think i'll finish it soon :lol:

Edit: I did leave the shiny thing, didn't look good at my image..interfaceorbye9.png

i like the tutorial its a bit confusing , thats why my outcome is bad.

any help?

lolne4.png

I think your problem is with the noise & with the blur..

Other try, the image it only change and added some effects.

interfaceorb2rt0.png