Paint.NET v3.20 *Alpha 2* is now available

Rick Brewster

Rick,"fix" is absolutely right. But I have to say it will be better if u add some new functions as a Alpha edition.It improved too slowly actually.Thank you for ur hard work whatever.

Features have to be added slowly. When you add them quickly without extensive testing in between, you get major bugs and deep-rooted problems that you can't diagnose. Paint.NET is advancing in features pretty quickly, considering its size compared to the number of programmers (one). Traditionally, 2.x, 3.x, etc. releases of a program are simply bug fixes and minor improvements; you usually don't see wide, sweeping changes or feature additions until an x.0 release.

Rick is an excellent programmer, though, and bugs are very few and far between.

(Oh, and one more thing: "Alpha" means it's not a final version. So does "Beta" and "Release Candidate." It doesn't mean it's a special version, just an unfinished version.)

There is no doubt that Rick is an excellent programmer.My point is Alpha should be more like a creative editon.

I mean Alpha - 2/3 new features and 1/3 fixed for old edition.

Beta - 2/3 fixed for Alpha and 1/3 new further features

RC - no features,just fix.

And then final.

If u just see few features in Alpha.I have to doubt the rate of progress.I can understand ur meaning and explanation.

I love PDN and we both love it :)

Alpha is not an edition. It is, by definition, an unfinished version. Alpha shouldn't be a creative edition because it isn't an edition.

This is the way software releases have always worked.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

To add to what david has said, the features you see in an Alpha are the features to be in the final release; Alphas, Betas and RCs alike are just the testing stages for said features.

What's more, the time to code in one new feature, test it extensively and fix any bugs related to it is long enough (although, as no programmer, don't take my word for it), then multiply that by how many features in the Alpha, then what would be in the Beta, then more so in the RC would be ludicrous and you'd have to wait much longer than the approximate six weeks it will be between the Alpha at the beginning of the month to the final release mid-December.* You see?

The workload for what you're suggesting would be rather hefty.

*I do hope what I said is reasonably correct.

BUG: I don't know if this has been reported before, but if it has, then this can serve as a reminder ;) When using the Rectangle Select tool, the selection created is always 1 pixel taller and 1 pixel wider than the numbers I put in the box. If I choose 384x106, my selection ends up being 385x107.

BUG: Tooltips in the Tools window are not working at all. Nothing shows up. If I hover over the "Tool: :RectangleSelectTool:v" item in the toolbar (the one that contains the "Choose defaults..." thingy), the tooltip ends up just being "Tool: " (No matter what tool is selected)

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

ok.correct my concept about Alpha.Thanks

Bug report:translation mistake in v3.1 final edition -- Chinese language

Suggest:The feature in "image" -flip vertical. Is there any chance to add a feature for layer's flip vertical not for the whole image?

10710_140869ab71d1f273f091f6d615fe0f8c

ok.correct my concept about Alpha.Thanks

Bug report:translation mistake in v3.1 final edition -- Chinese language

Suggest:The feature in "image" -flip vertical. Is there any chance to add a feature for layer's flip vertical not for the whole image?

There are 2 plugins that can flip selections.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

Layer>Flip Vertical flips the selected layer.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

He is talking about Layer flip, I think...He wants to flip not the whole layer.

yeah.the "selected part in layer" ,not the whole. Sorry about my poor English :oops:

He is talking about Layer flip, I think...He wants to flip not the whole layer.

yeah.the "selected part in layer" ,not the whole. Sorry about my poor English :oops:

There are already 2 plugin s that will do what you want.

Here's one viewtopic.php?t=2325

You search for the other one :idea:

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

Clone Stamp seems to discard all alpha information greater than about 80. Or, rather, it changes it to FF (255).

That could just be me, though...

Is it supposed to discard alpha like that, then? Or am I just missing something?

Pdn chrased for me :(

here is the chrase log

This text file was created because Paint.NET crashed.
Please e-mail this file to paint.net@hotmail.com so we can diagnose and fix the problem.

Application version: Paint.NET v3.20 (Alpha 2 Release build 3.20.2871.36803)
Time of crash: 11/19/2007 11:40:40 PM
Application uptime: 1.15:07:43.6488160
OS Version: 5.1.2600.131072 Service Pack 2 Workstation x86
.NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.42 x86
Processor: 1x "Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz" @ ~1594MHz (SSE, SSE2)
Physical memory: 510 MB
Tablet PC: no
Locale: pdnr.c: en-US, hklm: n/a, hkcu: n/a, cc: en-US, cuic: en-US

Exception details:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  at PaintDotNet.Actions.CloseWorkspaceAction.PerformAction(AppWorkspace appWorkspace)
  at PaintDotNet.AppWorkspace.PerformAction(AppWorkspaceAction performMe)
  at PaintDotNet.AppWorkspace.DocumentStrip_DocumentTabClicked(Object sender, EventArgs`1 e)
  at PaintDotNet.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs`1 e)
  at PaintDotNet.DocumentStrip.OnDocumentClicked(DocumentWorkspace dw, DocumentClickAction action)
  at PaintDotNet.DocumentStrip.OnItemClicked(Item item, ItemPart itemPart, MouseButtons mouseButtons)
  at PaintDotNet.ImageStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1000sigwithout1000.png

My deviantART iGraphix

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this on your page if you're one of the 4% who will.

skilletism (n.) - The abnormal liking of the band "Skillet". (see PANHEAD)

panhead n. - an individual who shows extreme enthusiasm for the band Skillet. Generally driving for hours to concerts with frying pans riding shotgun.

well i went to look at something in Paint.NET and had three images open, i had a magic wand selection on one, i went to close the one with the magic wand selection and PDN chrased, i think that is what happened

1000sigwithout1000.png

My deviantART iGraphix

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this on your page if you're one of the 4% who will.

skilletism (n.) - The abnormal liking of the band "Skillet". (see PANHEAD)

panhead n. - an individual who shows extreme enthusiasm for the band Skillet. Generally driving for hours to concerts with frying pans riding shotgun.