Veterans Day Challenge

As we all know (or maybe a select few) today is Veterans day, as my father being a disabled vet. i take pride in knowing he took part in select duties for the United States of America(The greatest country,duh). Lets say thanks by posting patriotic/heroic themed pictures made by you with PDN. :) Thanks.

CE1.jpg

...the United States of America(The greatest country,duh). ...

As much as I thank the veterans for their service, I do want to point out that this forum has many, many people from other nations here. Let's try not to alienate them. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

A poppy is a flower, no?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

A poppy is a flower, no?

Yup. Used as a rememberance symbol to represent that after a certain battle in WW 1 or 2, only the poppy flower grew.

never heard of that, i heard something about tying a yellow ribbon around an oak tree or something like that.

CE1.jpg

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

— John McCrae

I live in Flanders Fields.

So I guess veteran day is a good occasion to thank all the American and non-American soldiers that fought here in WW I and II.

sigbar0ks.png

*Awesome stuff, as usual*

Brad, you're aware that now you've posted this, nobody will post in this thread, fearing to look like ridiculous?

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I appreciate the John McCrae. Nice work.

Crikey. For some reason, when I read Void's comment, I was assuming that "poppies," the plural of poppy, referred to all the "fathers" who have fallen, not the flower that sources all opiate derivatives, nor the flower in "Flanders Fields." Long day.

1223994961_newstonesoup.png

... I should have been a pair of ragged claws ... - T.S. Eliot

Taboo Monkey Blue Blog: Writing on Writing - Sudoku Tips and Tricks - The Greatest Maze

And my favorite lemon muffins.

--

I think this thread should probably be bumped to the Overflow.