[Retracted] Feature Request: Ctrl+Shift+Z

This is a feature that has confused me for a while, and all that Search can find is nothing at all, so I thought I'd ask.

In our glorious Paint.NET, Ctrl+Shift+Z is a shortcut that opens Rotate/Zoom, a singularly wonderous tool and one of the main things that drew me to this program. However, something that has bugged me about this program is that said shortcut is, in most Windows programs, used for the Redo function. Given my propensity to make mistakes, and then make the mistake of mistakenly un-making the mistake ( :wink: ), Ctrl+Shift+Z is a pretty common tool in my arsenal.

I know we don't want too many options in Paint.NET, so I won't ask to re-map shortcut keys. But could we have Redo mapped to something? Or map Ctrl+Shift+Z to Redo, and put Rotate/Zoom on, say, Ctrl+Alt+Z?

A modest request. Let the protestations begin. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I don't remember the last time I've seen a program use Ctrl+Shift+Z for undo ... I remember considering it way back in the first weeks of v1.0 and it was just way too cumbersome a keystroke for a common command. Especially if you wanted to alternate between undo and redo commands (for example, to perform before/after comparisons), it was confusing to do the necessary finger acrobatics.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I didn't know about Ctrl+Y - Thank you! I'm satisfied now.

Maybe I'm just too used to Adobe. Ctrl+Shift+Z in Photoshop and Illustrator executes a redo...

But Ctrl+Y is good enough for me. Consider this feature request officially retracted. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I'm not too observant. I can't be bothered to, you know, "read..." :-D

I knew of those shortcuts, as I use them for before/after (as Rick said) all the time.

I thought this was standard is ... pretty much all programs. So I opened notepad, and hit control Y only to realize there is no redo! :( Rather, the undo works as an undo-undo. Of course, with unlimited undos, that wouldn't work on pdn.

HellRiverSig3_stretch.png

Yeah, but I use Adobe programs fairly often for school, so I'm used to:

Undo: Ctrl+Z

Redo: Ctrl+Shift+Z

But that's just me. :-)