How about a sticky in tutorial section with links to tuts

Recently, I found a tutorial on the first page (I seldom browse beyond the first page, never past the second) for grass which I liked. Someone of course revived an old thread which was against the rules, however in this case I'm glad that they did, as I'd have never thought to even look for this tutorial, but was sure glad I found it.

So, as a way of keeping the much needed rule against reviving dead threads, but at the same time making it easier to browse the many good tutorials that have been lost to the ravages of time, How about making a sticky that has links to all tutorials that are usefull, and fall into the guidelines of being a good tutorial (follows the rules, is a new effect or a new way to achieve an old effect, etc..) but just didn't make it to the stickied hall of fame.

This would give me something to browse, finding new tecniques that I would normally never have thought to search for originally. All at the cost of just one more sticky, and moderators having to update it every so often to add new tutorials, and remove ones that are oudated via plugins or newer tutorials.

One can even try to categorize the list by some means if they wanted to.

jgswsigxo7.png

There's been much discussion on the rearrangements of tuts; most people agree with you, but the mods are just very busy people with (GASP!) lives outside of PdN. Well, Rick and BoltBait do, at least...not sure about CMD. ;-)

Anyway, yes, I think it would be splendid. Same with Plugins.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Well, I assume that CMD isn't reading this thread (I posted the "I'm not sure about CMD" line as a sort of test to see), and he was the only mod online at the time...so...

Anyway, it was kind of discussed to death a while back.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

If we take your suggestion of a Sticky list, then we may not need to categorise them, we could, instead, merely order them alphabetically with a one line description (example pictures would take up too much space). Any that are similar in result would list the prominent effect used. Moreover, the Moderators wouldn't really need to do anything as it could be maintained by another member of the community who has more time on their hands.

Good suggestion. Anyway, dredging up old issues may not go down so well. I shall usher myself away.

I'll add what I already said:

"good tutorials" is totally subjective.

What you want already exist.

3 people (Rick + mods) found the current stickies trendy/useful, but not you.

No offense, but it's your problem :)

Hope you see what I mean.

@ Myr: make a list of tut with a one line description is a call to generic titles (and CGTL).

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

@ Myr: make a list of tut with a one line description is a call to generic titles (and CGTL).

And with enough of a generic fun-fest already pitched in the Q&GD we certainly don't want another in the Tutorials as well (although, skimming through it's working up to that).

You know what would be great??

A digg-like tutorial sorting.

I think that what I'll implement in my french-speaking-forum-tutorial-index-gallery-ultimate-combo-nobody-had-heard-about-yet.

to kick my lazy back off>

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Yea, i realize that the stickies are the real good tutorials.. but I was trying to not be subjective by my term of 'good'..

Basically, what I meant was anything that followed the rules, and was either a new effect, or a new way to do an old effect.. not just another duplication of an old effect with all the same steps. (this list would also help people figgure out if a tutorial has already been posted, if they can't find the search button. redundancy i know..)

As for the stickies. if they sticked every tutorial that followed the guidelines i just listed, the first three pages would be solid stickies.. Thus why doing it in a sticked thread is better. List of all the tutorials that didn't make the sticky list.

And I would be happy to start a thread on the subject, but I figgured something like that would probably take a mod to "ok" it first. I didn't want to hash up any old wounds.

jgswsigxo7.png

Good thinking, the rules say you can't create new "official" threads...

I'd like a standalone app that involves effort on two ends. On the 1 end, the tutorial creator, with easy tagging, and pasting pictures, and on the other, the end user with a simple GUI.

tutfinderwg2.png