Unstickying Stickys & Stickying Unstickied

I think we should totally sticky this tutorial. The effect is quite useful for those willing to take the time to do it...

And the author of that tutorial is so kind and helpful and handsome and talented and... :wink:

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

You know, I would sticky that, but its not a tutorial... its a LINK to a tutorial. :P

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=735

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=3393

Precedent set. Argument refuted. :P

Though, can't you, seeing how you are a moderator.

I could, yes, but I'd consider that an abuse of power were it not requested or agreed upon by the general populace. Rick or BoltBait could, though. :wink:

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

You know, I would sticky that, but its not a tutorial... its a LINK to a tutorial. :P

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=735

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=3393

Precedent set. Argument refuted. :P

Though, can't you, seeing how you are a moderator.

I could, yes, but I'd consider that an abuse of power were it not requested or agreed upon by the general populace. Rick or BoltBait could, though. :wink:

*I* didn't stick those! So, my original statement stands! :P

Oh, and if I was to sticky my own tutorials, I'd sticky the CodeLab ones. But, I didn't and I won't.

Perhaps, the stickied tutorials for various techniques could have links at the bottom of the page to other similar useful tutorials that have sprung up earlier or later than the selected tutorial.

The truth is that some tutorials have become obsolete with the arrival of new plugins. What previously was a stroke of brilliance is now an unnecessary waste of time. Paint.net users should not have to discover this by chance.

Sentimentality should be set aside so that clearer and better tutorials could replace older ones. Or perhaps modifications be done to the older sticked tutorials to take in the improved ideas, techniques and plugins.

Right now, with each passing day, any new user will be paralyzed by the prolific number of good and so-so tutorials all within this forum.

The truth is that some tutorials have become obsolete with the arrival of new plugins. What previously was a stroke of brilliance is now an unnecessary waste of time. Paint.net users should not have to discover this by chance.

Right now, with each passing day, any new user will be paralyzed by the prolific number of good and so-so tutorials all within this forum.

I wouldn't say it's a waste of time.

New & powerful plugins are cool and all, but sometimes is good to learn the basic methods, as it often leads to new ideas & methods.

I agree most of what you said, it is getting harder to find the right tuts when some new users ask how to do somethings.

This issue has been talked about quite a few times.

And I still believe it's up to the Users to try to do whats right.

I think it's best up to the users to do what should be done.

1. Not posting a tut for anything that comes to their mind.

2. Search before posting tut, so they don't post something already done.

or with little changes to the other tut.

3. Don't make the 1st post a tut-----Please!!

4. Learn more before trying to teach.

5. Find easier ways to do things so they don't post something that can be done in 3 steps using more.

6. If they wanna show something they've done, post it in the The pictorium and see what others think.

If enough people really like your work....I'm SURE many will ask for a tut!!

7. READ #4

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

With each passing day, we see a proliferation of tutorials which shouldn't attract the attention of others. They are either too simple in techniques or a repetition of what someone else has already done - and done in a better way.

Perhaps, all these so-so tutorials should be given their moment of glory for a few days after which they should be deleted so that those seriously wanting to learn the better techniques will not have to go down so many side-paths before discovering an optimal technique. This will trim down the morass of tutorials that we're having.

I like the idea of the stickied tuts showing techniques rather than how to make something specific. The ones that make a neat image are fun, but they aren't the ones I go back to multiple times.

IMHO, I'd like to keep the more general technique tutorials that answer FAQs, like:

Make an Animated .GIF with Paint.NET

Using New Fonts For Paint.NET

Cutting out images the easy way

Shape3D#1:Different image on each sides of a cube

etc.

It might also be nice to have stickied threads with lists of links to the best tutorials in a category:

Fancy Text Tutorials

Glass orb / bubbles tutorials

etc.

Of course, everyone here probably has a slightly different way they'd like to see the tuts organized. I'm glad I'm not the one who has to figure it out :wink:

time-smaller.png