Unstickying Stickys & Stickying Unstickied

As new plugins become available, some of the stickied tutorials need to be unstickied as much easier ways of creating the same end-result become available.

Some really great new tutorials just waiting to be stickied but left indistinguishable from many average tutorials.

Current situation makes it difficult for newcomers as they have to wade through myriads of tutorials.

tiss true, I personally think they should be grouped into diff. catagories like: Beginner, Intermediate, Novice, etc.

I agree, I think the catagories should be based on how many steps they have. As a general rule, shorter tutorials are easier.

Most of the time, but Not always :)

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

tiss true, I personally think they should be grouped into diff. catagories like: Beginner, Intermediate, Novice, etc.

I agree, I think the catagories should be based on how many steps they have. As a general rule, shorter tutorials are easier.

True, but sorting them by length seems less arbitrary than trying to decide if a tutorial is hard or not, since some steps that one person has trouble with, another may not have trouble with.

I agree. Although then we'll get people padding their tuts...

1. Start up your computer.

2. Locate your mouse.

3. Log-in to Windows (if necessary). Here's a screenshot.

4. Click on "Start."

5. Hover over "Programs."

6. Click on "Paint.NET."

--

133. Click on "File." Here's a screenshot.

134. Click on "Save As..."

135. Title your file "Swirling Clouds" and change the file type to .PNG. Here's a screenshot.

136. Click on "Save."

And that's how you make swirly clouds!

*shudder*

EDIT: still think it's a good idea, though.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I agree. Although then we'll get people padding their tuts...
1. Start up your computer.

2. Locate your mouse.

3. Log-in to Windows (if necessary). Here's a screenshot.

4. Click on "Start."

5. Hover over "Programs."

6. Click on "Paint.NET."

--

133. Click on "File." Here's a screenshot.

134. Click on "Save As..."

135. Title your file "Swirling Clouds" and change the file type to .PNG. Here's a screenshot.

136. Click on "Save."

And that's how you make swirly clouds!

*shudder*

:lol::lol:

I actually not that hard to decide if one tuts harder than the other, take mine for example, I'd say there for Intermediate users because of the way it's not completely step by step. You have to have a basic knowledge of pdn to get through it easily, thats not to say that someone just starting cant do it but they'll prob have to ask a couple questions first.

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

Perhaps, what we need are stickied examples of creative techniques rather than the current tutorials.

Currently, the current tutorials are actually threads that flow out of an original example. A vastly improved technique could sometimes be found a few pages away from the original post.

What users will always look out for are reliable and hopefully simple ways of achieving good results. Could a separate forum for "hall of fame" techniques be started? Just dreaming!

As a new user I am overwhelmed with all the Tutorials. I have tryed some that I thought looked quite hard but were in reality quite easy and others that looked a lot easier than they were. Some kind of rating system or organization would be nice.

A suggestion for those of you who write many of the tutorials maybe you want to rate your tutorials in the title. Tell us if you feel it is an easy or difficult tutorial. I know I can't say for those of you who have over X# of posts are the only ones who should do this, cuz there is at least one member out there who doesn't post everything they do (low post #) but what I have seen is amazing and they have writen great, easy to follow tutrials too. But it could be a start for those of you who have done tutorials in the past.

Maybe some of you who are more experienced using paint.Net could become Tutorial raters, designate "Raters" or volenteer to be a "Rater". I know it could take up a lot of your time, and take you away from your own creations but I think a lot of you go through and do of the tutorials that get posted here anyway (I have seen the same member names in response posts to almost all the Tutorials I have tryed).

Well those are my suggestions. I hope I didn't take up too much of your time. Post got a lot longer than I initially intended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My deviantART gallery

Paint.Net Gallery

I tend to try to go into detail with my tutorials to help people who don't have a full understanding of Paint.NET or computers.

As for taking down stickys because someone puts out a Plugin to do the same thing, I not up for it. Reason being is not everyone downloads Plugins or keep up with them. There for some people will still find them useful. However sticking new tutorials that use plugins and tells you / links to the Plugin is a good idea.

True, but sorting them by length seems less arbitrary than trying to decide if a tutorial is hard or not, since some steps that one person has trouble with, another may not have trouble with.

I agree. Maybe an area for simple tutorials, and one or two other areas for more advanced or specific stuff...

Ben, can you think of anyplace that does that?

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

And also, some of them are useful, like TC's cutting out images from complicated backgrounds , but who wants to make a toy car?

Apparently, 7 pages worth of people want to make toy cars... :D

But, thank you. This is the first post in the thread with concrete suggestions on threads to sticky and unsticky.

Anyone else have suggestions?

There just seem to be so many tuts getting to the sticky point that a new folder, or sub folder, with only sticky tuts in it might be a nice way to organize it.

In that case you can then sticky all unique tuts and categorize unique and origonal tuts with their corresponding "other ways to make, easier ways to make" tuts

ex.

1.how to make glass orbs --origonal

1a. how to make kiosk orbs

1b. another way to make glass orbs

It would take a bit of reworking though.

sunsigub8.png

Well, I think that Stickied threads should be revelant to most people on the forum, like as mine on the NM forums helps users with starting in endorphin by showing all the packs available for it, so really, the tutorials should be the same, the most revelant ones being the most important, meaning they should be stickied.

Not as in something you can do in a few certain pieces, but as things which you can use in anything if needed.

The problem with having authors title their tutorials with how difficult they think the tutorial is, is that something that the author thinks is easy another person may think is difficult. I think difficulty should be something that is rated by the multitudes and that after enough votes it would average itself out to be truthful in how difficult it really is.

Just a thought.

Another thought. Anyone consider doing a Paint Dot Net Wiki? Something to go along with the forums (not replace them).

jgswsigxo7.png

Another thought. Anyone consider doing a Paint Dot Net Wiki? Something to go along with the forums (not replace them).

There is one that was created by usedHONDA and recently updated by cjmcguiness, here's the linky:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Paint.NET

It's been in usedHONDA's signature for yonks.

Not as in something you can do in a few certain pieces, but as things which you can use in anything if needed.

It seems to me, with a few exceptions ("how to use layers the easy way") most everything you use in anything is covered in the help file.

sunsigub8.png