Monthly Skinning Competition Discussion -- #4 ended

from the pic post thread:

Only image I didn't create were the "Google Search" and "I'm Feeling Lucky" buttons
wit...can you actually use these (buttons)?

Google only asks your browser to create buttons with the right letters on it. So the button design belongs to the owner of the rights of your browser. But I don't think, that Microsoft, Mozilla or anyone would make trouble about that.

@Bob: Thanks!!

@Helio: Wow, this month has really flown by me! I guess I'll need to make this a higher priority than beating Zelda on my emulator.

-----

I guess this is a pretty good place to announce that I'll be making an actual web page out of it. And it won't just be a web page, it'll be an entire website! It'll be "gskin.com" (or something related to that).

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Cool! I might make mine into a user stylesheet. :)

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

I was just kidding, bu you CAN threaten people on the internets!

Also:

Wikipedia[/url]":eb2b2]Constructive criticism is a form of communication in which a person tries to correct the behavior of another in a non-authoritarian way, and is generally, a diplomatic approach about what another person is doing socially incorrect. It is 'constructive' as opposed to a command or an insult and is meant as a peaceful and benevolent approach. Participatory learning in pedagogy is based on these principles of constructive criticism.

Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others with the intention of helping the reader or the artist, rather than creating an oppositional attitude. An art critic can also be a champion of a new artistic movement in the face of a hostile public (e.g. John Ruskin), using scholarship and insight to show the value and depth of a new style. Critics might even champion a wholly new art medium; for instance the century-long critical struggle to have photography recognised as a valid art form.

There can be a tension between constructive and useful criticism; for instance, a critic might usefully help an individual artist to recognise what is poor or slapdash in their body of work - but the critic may have to appear harsh and judgemental in order to achieve this.

I was just kidding, bu you CAN threaten people on the internets!

Also:

Wikipedia[/url]":25964]Constructive criticism is a form of communication in which a person tries to correct the behavior of another in a non-authoritarian way, and is generally, a diplomatic approach about what another person is doing socially incorrect. It is 'constructive' as opposed to a command or an insult and is meant as a peaceful and benevolent approach. Participatory learning in pedagogy is based on these principles of constructive criticism.

Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others with the intention of helping the reader or the artist, rather than creating an oppositional attitude. An art critic can also be a champion of a new artistic movement in the face of a hostile public (e.g. John Ruskin), using scholarship and insight to show the value and depth of a new style. Critics might even champion a wholly new art medium; for instance the century-long critical struggle to have photography recognised as a valid art form.

There can be a tension between constructive and useful criticism; for instance, a critic might usefully help an individual artist to recognise what is poor or slapdash in their body of work - but the critic may have to appear harsh and judgemental in order to achieve this.

Wikipedia was updated by an idiot 5 second ago. :lol: (I don't mean you, I mean that anyone, at anytime, can update Wikipedia)

Anyway, your little constructiveness didn't sound peaceful. Ah well.

Glitchy2008.png

Visit these >> [Blog|Site|Wiki]

Status report:

Concept

anewlook.png

Coded web page

anewlook2.png

EDIT: Now I got the 2-pixel borders (like in the concept) working with the power of CSS! I'm too lazy to post an updated screenshot of it...

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

Hurry up! Three days left!

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Nope, not text, part of the image. I had actually added that 2 in GIMP, and what a pain it was! 5 minutes of opening, closing, rearranging, and yelling at large dialog boxes and trouble getting the color I wanted with the antialiasing I'm used to seeing on text. So later on, I replaced that GIMP "2" with the 10-second "2" in Paint.NET! And no yelling at dialog boxes, either :)

ATTN!

http://usedhonda.110mb.com/g.htm

It's done! And it doesn't look right in IE! And looks almost exactly like the concept! Comments please!*

*Comments from Firefox, Opera, and Safari users only [edit]

EDIT:

entry.png

Just like the concept :D

...The true frosting on the cake would be if you could style the drop-down menu.... it's really cool as it is, though!

8½ hours left to submit.

Here's my submitted entry:

concept222.png

conceptdropdown2.png

(click for last screenshot)

BTW, I'm voting for Helio. It's more of my style, though it looks like a custom Windows login screen :P

EDIT: Though I do see one problem in Helio's idea... huge file size :shock:

Oooh, you're right... :o

Okay, now it is time to suggest topics for MSC #5. So far we have left over:

• [*:fafa1]Winamp
    [*:fafa1]Desktop Widget (Yahoo clock)
    [*:fafa1]OS screenshot pack (Boot, Login, Desktop, Folder)
    [*:fafa1]Cursor Pack
    [*:fafa1]Browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari)

Well, technically to skin something it must exist first, but I suppose that some exceptions can be made. :P

Some more ideas:

• [*:8906b]Paint.NET forum
    [*:8906b]deviantART
    [*:8906b]Wikipedia

Voting has been extended due to a lack of votes...

No, there are 12 so far, but I would like to see twice that much! :D