Change the background step by step to a portrait

I am more near (nearer) now

thump_2338905asus-19112015-0272.png

How can i put now the forest or any other image as background ?

And i need to delete the red line...

Note added : I discovered how to delete the red line. I delete the red line unmarking the layer we create with name : Outline the subject.

I continue.

I will try now to put the forest in the background

Edited by Carrito

The color replace plugin, you needed to set the new color's transparency I think to 0 to 255, to make it transparent.

I will be busy for a while now, so I won't be able to help you further till later.

Edited. setting to 0 was wrong.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

You've VERY close! Just a few more steps....

1. Activate the layer with the cyan color.

2. Magic wand the cyan color to select all of it.

3. Press the Delete key.

4. Hide the top layer by unchecking the visible check box.

:D

EER, I think you missed the point a little bit.

There would be no reason to use the replace color plugin if all you're going to do is delete with the use of the magic wand. Once the outline is traced, what color the background is wouldn't matter, you just select the outside of the outline and then delete on the subject layer. The point of the replace color plugin I think was to remove the background more cleanly compared to the delete function, and to keep some of the fine hairs of the subject.

Ok, I'm back and I had a chance to play with the image.

Here is a quick and rough example removing the background with the Replace Color plugin. Look at the settings to see what I adjusted.
It turns out I was wrong and backwards in my previous post about the "New Color Transparency", you don't want it to be 0, you want it to be 255.
You also will want to adjust the "tolerance" slider.
My picture was done quick and roughly, you can play around with the other settings and see if you can remove the background better.

Person_Subject_Replace_Color_Plugin800.j

Larger version of the image :
http://s5.postimg.org/524dbdwwn/Person_Subject_Replace_Color_Plugin.jpg

EDIT.
After you run the replace color plugin, you can deselect and try running the feather plugin to soften things.

Nice Ishi, videos are a good idea. I don't always care for some of the techniques in some videos, but videos are good to help people become familiar with paint.net.

Carrito, if you like the idea of videos to see how things are done, here is one where instead of using the lasso tool to remove the background, the person used the line/curve tool to trace the image, and then removed the background. (we've been talking about tracing, so this video sort of goes along with the tracing concept.)

There are lots of ways to remove backgrounds, which way will give the best looking results varies greatly depending on the image you are working on.

You may also like this tutorial about using layers. The video shows some of paint.net's features while explaining how to use layers. It also shows how to remove the background of a subject and give it a different background using layers. (you can skip to 8:34 for part 3 of the video, which is where the video removes the background of a subject.)

Carrito,

I found on the net this tool that can help you remove the background. All you have to do is trace in green the areas you want to keep and trace in red the areas you want to remove. This tool checks the colors, hues, contrast and do not what else and draws a line to show the edge of your new image. It will also smooth the lines for you (feathering). Once you have cleaned the background, you can save the image as a png file (to keep the transparency). You can then import the image to paint.net. Add a new layer with the new background and place it below the portrait. 

Paint.net can achieve the same results but for people who just start image manipulation it can represent a challange as there are several steps to follow. I hope this helps you.

hairlinefull-4d852b5.png

Edited by Eli

I will try tomorrow.

It's enough material to study.

My problem is certain fear and confusion about so many methods.

So I will try to complete one single method and practice.

Then, I will try to continue in the next months with the rest of the methods.

Best Regards

I will really try and comment

Carrito,

I found on the net this tool that can help you remove the background. All you have to do is trace in green the areas you want to keep and trace in red the areas you want to remove. This tool checks the colors, hues, contrast and do not what else and draws a line to show the edge of your new image. It will also smooth the lines for you (feathering). Once you have cleaned the background, you can save the image as a png file (to keep the transparency). You can then import the image to paint.net. Add a new layer with the new background and place it below the portrait. 

Paint.net can achieve the same results but for people who just start image manipulation it can represent a challange as there are several steps to follow. I hope this helps you.

hairlinefull-4d852b5.png

May be simple but not interesting.

Just because seems a monthly waste of a few dollars.

I have a puntual need , i am not a designer.

I am trying again to contour the subject.

All seems goes well but when apply the magic wand I haven't the result.

I think my problem is perhaps i don't close the red line well. How can I check this easily 

Make sure you draw the outline on your Outline the subject layer. I usually use the zoom feature to help me see the edges better.

To check if there is a gap on your outline add another layer and fill it with a color that contrasts with the outline. Move this layer below your Outline the subject layer.

One more thing. Look on your subjects layer, you may have drawn the outline or parts of the outline on this layer.

Make sure you draw the outline on your Outline the subject layer. I usually use the zoom feature to help me see the edges better.

To check if there is a gap on your outline add another layer and fill it with a color that contrasts with the outline. Move this layer below your Outline the subject layer.

One more thing. Look on your subjects layer, you may have drawn the outline or parts of the outline on this layer.

Seems difficult for me.

Any other way ?

I think my fault is that i do the line in several parts, not only one. But in the same layer : the auxiliary one.

Edited by Carrito

Doing the line in multiple parts is fine, but it has to be on its own separate layer. Just add a new layer and draw the lines like you normally would.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Try lowering the tolerance of your magic wand tool.

Also, try to thicken up your line. Look for thin spots, use larger brush widths, color as much as you need to. As long as the coloring is done on the inside of the subject, and traced along the edge of your subject without going over the edge, then how thick your line is doesn't matter.

Ignore the replace color settings for a moment, and look at my outline in this picture.
I used a variety of brush widths and then I just painted my subject. I used a careful hand near the edges and small brushes for tight places but used thicker brushes to then re-trace along the thinner lines to thicken them up. The thin lines set a boundary and guide for me that I could go along with a thicker paintbrush to make things thicker. You can use big brushes for places that are not tight though.

In my picture I used big brushes for the top of the head, small brushes around the ear, and thickened up thin lines by simply painting entire areas. This helps to ensure that an outline is solid and won't have gaps or weak points.

Person_Subject_Replace_Color_Plugin800.j

I am here again. Never gives up.

I think in one of the videos uses the lasso tool.

And seems i can redraw again and again.

I also will try :

"

Try lowering the tolerance of your magic wand tool.

Also, try to thicken up your line. Look for thin spots, use larger brush widths, color as much as you need to. As long as the coloring is done on the inside of the subject, and traced along the edge of your subject without going over the edge, then how thick your line is doesn't matter.

Ignore the replace color settings for a moment, and look at my outline in this picture.
I used a variety of brush widths and then I just painted my subject. I used a careful hand near the edges and small brushes for tight places but used thicker brushes to then re-trace along the thinner lines to thicken them up. The thin lines set a boundary and guide for me that I could go along with a thicker paintbrush to make things thicker. You can use big brushes for places that are not tight though.

In my picture I used big brushes for the top of the head, small brushes around the ear, and thickened up thin lines by simply painting entire areas. This helps to ensure that an outline is solid and won't have gaps or weak points."

I will comment.

Best Regards

Don't seems to be the reason according to your first work above , at the beginning of this post.

I will revise and try to understand this :

"

One more thing. Look on your subjects layer, you may have drawn the outline or parts of the outline on this layer."