selection tools questions

I'm not sure what you are after with either question. Diagonally select?

For 'drag select' do you mean you want to make a selection with a brush type tool?

More explanation please :)

For the first question, sometimes I want to select a specific section in the image like an eye, or a cube, or a soda can, and select just that object, (or just outside its boundaries). Lasso is a "free form" selection tool. As I move my hand around the selection, sometimes I accidentally select too far away from the object, sometimes I select too far into it, then I have to start all over again. I would like more control over this.

For the second question, magic wand requires a series of clicks in specific places to get the selection you want. I want to hold down the left-mouse button, drag, and certain pixels are selected as the wand touches them, depending on flood mode and tolerance.

Hi Kevin - there really is no easy way of cutting out a selection without some work.  Here is a great way of doing that here.

As for your 2nd point, with the magic wand - whilst you have an area selected you can play with the Tolerance range to get a bit more control of the pixels.

Hope that helps ;)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Lasso is a "free form" selection tool. As I move my hand around the selection, sometimes I accidentally select too far away from the object, sometimes I select too far into it, then I have to start all over again. I would like more control over this.

Do you know that pressing 'Control' you can add to an existing selection and 'Alt' to subract? No need to start always all over again.

• Upvote 1

midoras signature.gif

Personally, cutting out objects is MUCH easier to me by outlining the object and then using the magic wand tool to get a selection from the outline.
I have a better description and a picture here, look for the "Outlining To Cut Out Objects" part : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28305-mini-tuts/?p=409110

As Midora has said, holding the ctrl key on your keyboard will let you add to a selection, while holding the alt key will let you subtract from the selection. But, up in the tool's option bar you can also choose different selection modes, such as Union. http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/ShapeSelectionTools.html

You also might like these selection tool technique tips :

Tip 1.

For the Lasso Tool, click, then draw, BUT keep an eye on the stright edge and work with that side of the selection rather than the free-hand side of the selection.
UsingTheLassoTool_zps66f41468.png

Tip 2.
You may already know how to use the Move Selection Tool, but it is a great tool to making diagonal selections. And remember, with the Move Selection Tool you can also adjust the shape of your selection in terms of width, height, and size. I often make a sloppy selection first just to have a selection, but then I use the Move Selection tool to make it perfect, along with the Add and Subtract short cut keys. With the short cut keys or union selection mode, you can also use all the selection tools together to make up complicated selections.

Here is a sample image of rotating a selection to be diagonal :
moveselectedpixlestool_zps6cc9aa96.png

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles
  • Upvote 1