Smoothing edges on GIF transparency

I am trying to make a header logo for my web site, and I am getting really jaggy lines around the text and image when I try to save it as a transparent GIF.  It looks like the attachment.  Any ideas how to make the edges smoother once I convert it to GIF?  I can send you the original PDN if you like.  Thanks!

post-136301-0-52317400-1401734703_thumb.

GIF only has partial support for transparency. Pixels in a GIF image can either be fully transparent or fully opaque. This means if you want antialiasing between a transparent area and an opaque one, you're out of luck.

If possible, I recommend using PNG instead. However, if you must use the GIF image format, you should make a background layer that is the same color as the background on your website.

• Upvote 2

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

^^ what 'Noon said. Swap from gif to PNG.

Gif is really for low color images with on/off transparency. Sounds like you need more levels of transparency. PNG gives you a whole alpha channel to access.

As your image is on a website you could also consider the WebP format. If you stick with PNG save some download time by using the OptiPNG compression plugin.

• Upvote 1

^^ what 'Noon said. Swap from gif to PNG.

Gif is really for low color images with on/off transparency. Sounds like you need more levels of transparency. PNG gives you a whole alpha channel to access.

As your image is on a website you could also consider the WebP format. If you stick with PNG save some download time by using the OptiPNG compression plugin.

Very cool, thanks!  I'm so old school, I didn't know that PNG supported a full alpha channel.  I've saved the original PDN file and will try saving it out to a PNG to see if it gives me what I need.  Thanks again!

Also, if you do still get jagged edges, I'd recommend the Feather Plugin. http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/2140-feather-plugin-now-with-source/

For help on how to install the plugin, go here: https://boltbait.com/pdn/InstallingEffects.php

Use the plugin to smooth the edges. There may be something better you can do without the plugins, but I'm not sure.

signature.png

:cookie-chocolate: I baked another one...

For smoothing edges, I use a combo of the plugins MikeRobe and Pixey have suggested, plus Basic Antialias.

First Basic Antialias. (http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/7644-basic-antialias-version-11-bug-fixed-january-14-2008/)

Then Feather ranging from 2-4.

Last I run AA's Assistant, sometimes more than once for best results.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles