Dumb but hard to find answer to question: how to add one layer on top of another

To add a new layer: click this icon at the foot of the Layers Window :AddNewLayer:

Highlight any layer in the Layers Window by clicking on it.  It turns blue.  Yay!  Editing operations are confined to the active layer.

Rename the active (i.e. highlighted) layer by pressing F4 to bring up the Layer Properties dialog.  Type in a new name.

<Moved to Paint.NET Discussion & Questions>

Scott

Besides the excellent, help in the forums, is the book  

Mastering Paint.NET 3.5.10     http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009IFBA5W     a very inexpensive, but worth while download.

This Kindle edition, from a very knowledgeable author, whose exploits and nearly limitless knowledge of Paint.Net, are legendary.

No other  PDN  "how to" books  are in the same class.  NO, I am not the author, but I know who he is.

Regardless, keep on practicing and reading the help pages and asking forum members questions, we enjoy helping and want to see you succeed.  getsmileyCA01OWOH.gif

"The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask"

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

Scott

Besides the excellent, help in the forums, is the book  

Mastering Paint.NET 3.5.10     http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009IFBA5W     a very inexpensive, but worth while download.

This Kindle edition, from a very knowledgeable author, whose exploits and nearly limitless knowledge of Paint.Net, are legendary.

No other  PDN  "how to" books  are in the same class.  NO, I am not the author, but I know who he is.

You're making me blush! Thank you Scooter :D

It's not really clear what you are asking (to me anyway) but ...... perhaps you want to put one "under" the other on the same layer?

If so, then, after you have your two images on two different layers, you need to use the Move Tool :MoveTool: which is the top right icon in the tool bar, on one of the images to align them.  Then merge the layers down together.  Hope this helps :)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Another technique:  Open the first image then import the second with Layers > Import from file.

Thanks but I find nothing in the help nor in this forum addressing this (to me) basic issue: Once two images are "opened," and residing in the upper right-hand corner, how do you put one ON TOP of the other?

I think I've discovered the problem.  The two images you have in the top-right corner are actually the images you have open; think of them like tabs on a web browser.  The images that are put on top of one another are the ones in the Layers window (which starts out on the bottom-right).  If you want to paste an image in, you can drag it in from the folder and choose "add to layers" instead of "open new image."

Hope that helps!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.