saving pdn

Hi Renee and welcome to Paint.NET.

You have to save your resized image with either .png, or gif or jpeg.  Here is a shot of where you choose to do that.  Hope this helps you ;) .  You only save to pdn when you want to work on it again.  Once done, you go to "Save as" and look for the drop down as in the image.

th_afterresizing_zps4ceaeef6.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I have been going nuts as PDN wouldn't let me sign in and then froze me out--until now!

Thanks for the answers.

ishi, I simply tried to change the size to one I've successfully used with pdn before. The size required by Kindle for a book cover. But it wouldn't hold. So then I tried to save it over and over--each time to resize it.(and here's the thing: the size in inches shown on pdn is way too large to be what I want. I want a 6 X 9 inch cover of 1275 w X 1750 h. And actually Kindle suggests 1563 W X 2500 H and that is way HUGE on pdn)

pixey, I did save it as a pdn, BUT when I tried to also save it as a jpeg (jpg) it wouldn't save it at all. Kept going back to pdn.

I'm beginning to wonder if my version of pdn isn't corrupted in some way.

I'll try to come back if you answer, but with pdn so edgy, I may not be able to.

Renee

I'm not sure why you're giving up so easily.  We'd be happy to help you, but if you really want to go, I suppose we can't stop you.

What do you mean that the size "wouldn't hold?"

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Me, again, David. I missed the second line of your post in my email. What I mean is that even after I resized it, and then tried to "save as" it in order to give it a new name so I could be sure I got the right file when it came. Only it never came. It kept going back to a smaller size. Maybe I resized it wrong, but I don't think so, but it's always possible with me such an amateur at all this.

....I want a 6 X 9 inch cover of 1275 w X 1750 h. And actually Kindle suggests 1563 W X 2500 H and that is way HUGE on pdn)

I would advise you to go with the Kindle recommendation.

pixey, I did save it as a pdn, BUT when I tried to also save it as a jpeg (jpg) it wouldn't save it at all. Kept going back to pdn.

If your image has layers the format defaults to PDN. Jpgs do not support layers so you will have to flatten the image into a single layer.

I'm beginning to wonder if my version of pdn isn't corrupted in some way.

Its not.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood what you meant by this:

I suppose I'll have to go somewhere else. I'm getting spooked.

Apologies, I didn't mean to offend!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I'm sorry but I forgot your real name, Ego or Ergo or whatever :). I tried to go with the Kindle recommendation. BUT Pdn would not save it with that size. I repeat, it would not save as a pdn in that size.

I flattened it since the program said to, and it did save finally as a jpg. But at the smaller size also. It's a great looking cover I think. I'd like very much to be able to get it saved in the larger size. BUT it won't. Only in 500+ w and 800+ h.  Can you please walk me through how to resize. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong!

I tried Help but couldn't find anything about the correct way to resize. I know there is going to be some blurring of the painting on the cover since it's almost square and I'm trying to make it a rectangle, but that's okay because it's an actual painting--done in 1860--and so the blurry look fits.

If you can/will guide me, I'll be forever in your debt. And will promise to always remember your name no matter how forgetful I get.

Renee

david, no apologies needed. I wasn't offended. It's just that you took it out of context. I said IF it failed to let me reply (or even in, actually--but that's cleared up) THEN I'd have to leave.

If you know how I can resize and have it stay that way when it saves, I'll be very grateful. I cropped the painting to make it less square and more rectangular, then I tried to put it on a canvas of the size Kindle wants. I couldn't get it to work.

It could be a bug with the Paint.NET version you are using. Tell us what Paint.NET version do you use that has this problem.

If you really need this image resized as soon as possible, I suggest you try resizing it using MS Paint for now. It has its own image resize function.

Right click your image from the Desktop or Windows Explorer and Edit. MS Paint should open this by default.

If not, right click your image and Open with then Paint.  Look for the Resize button.

You'll just have to uncheck the "maintain aspect ratio" checkbox before typing the dimensions you want, same as with Paint.NET.

nexog9.png

MS Paint does not resample the image as good as Paint.NET does but I think  it does an acceptable quality in a lot of times anyway.

Edited by Ishi

Ishi, you're very nice, but I have to tell you that I used MS Paint for the cropping--a mistake I now think. Also MS Paint doesn't do layers, so I definitely want PDN.

However, I went back to the very basics--for those of us still wet behind the ears--and I think I may be able to conquer it if I study more and work from the start to do it.

Wish me luck. I only hope this time I'll get it right! Thank you, Rick, even though you never showed your face on this thread, you did the tutorial!

As I said, it's been a very long time and for several reasons my memory isn't so great--but I'll take baby steps and will get there.

To resize your image

1. Open the image.

2. Got to the Image menu and click on Resize.  Alternatively use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + R to open the Resize dialog.

3. With the Resize dialog open, make sure

• The Resampling option is set to Best Quality.
  • The By Percentage option is NOT SELECTED (empty button)
  • The By Absolute Size option IS SELECTED (filled blue button)
  • The Maintain Aspect Ratio check box is UNCHECKED (no tick in the box)

yhsjjie-2469.png

4. In the numeric box beside the label Width type in 1275.  This is your specified image width.

5. In the numeric box beside the label Height type in 1750.  This is your specified height.

yhsjjie-2385.png

6. Click OK.

7. Once the resize is complete, check the image size in the Status Bar at the bottom of the Editing window.  It will say 1275 x 1750.

• Upvote 1

Ego, that is exactly what I had already done, except for checking the edit bar.

I wonder if I would be better off--image-wise--in using the rectangular tool for cutting out the slice I cropped in MS Paint, so that perhaps it wouldn't be so blurry when I enlarged it. However, that's rhetorical. I'll leave it alone to cool for awhile.

Meanwhile, I saw that after saving the picture as a jpg it could be "unflattened." What is the purpose of doing that--whatever it means?

Thanks,

Renee

Meanwhile, I saw that after saving the picture as a jpg it could be "unflattened." What is the purpose of doing that--whatever it means?

Thanks,

Renee

Actually, it would get "flattened" not "unflattened" when you continue to save it as .jpg. That is because .jpg and other standard image formats do not support layers so saving your work to those standard formats would mandate merging all your layers called flattening. Only when you save a file that has layers into either .pdn or .psd (with the help of a plugin) does it retain all its layers and won't get "flattened" unless you intended to do so by going to Image>>Flatten. Hope that helps.

Again, my thanks, Ishi--and to everyone who worked with me! Thankfully, my memory opened up and when I saw a question about the rectangle tool a lot came rushing back. (My memory always returns, it just takes time--sometimes a whole lot of time! ;) ) So I started over, this time strictly in pdn. And I came up with almost the same cover image--without the blurring! It turned out to be fairly simple, and although I had to lose a good bit of the picture, I was able to  finally place it where I wanted.

And best of all, it saved in the correct pixel count!  The painting's original dimensions are 1280 W X 914 H and I ended up using Kindle's recommended 1563 W X 2500 H. I'm pleased with it. I lost the hunting dog, but kept the chickens! :)

I only had to use the pixel mover tool so that was good too. I first made a canvas of the size I wanted, then copy/pasted the painting over it. Naturally it didn't fit, but by using that little triangle looking tool, I soon had it placed where I think it looks best for my book cover.

Please, Everyone, accept my gratitude for your willingness to help and your patience.

Renee