Creating Skyboxes

I'm trying to create a skybox (basically, a giant hollow cube that goes around a map to give the impression of a sky) for a game.

However, I don't know how to create a good sky and such that fits within the template and looks smooth all around.

Basically, the template is as follows: (note: this isn't actually the template. Each side is uploaded individually. The template is to show the wrapping.)

SkyBoxTempleteTest_zps2f5c825b.png

So how would I create a good, realistic sky that wouldn't look messed up at the corners or not matching up at the top or such?

'Civil disobedience is still disobedience.'

'↑ And that is how you confuse an atomic computer. ↑'

▬ Xžε⌐¡z○╖

Start with the coloring. Use a blue to blue gradient to give the effect of a slight lightening towards the apex -in other words the horizon will be slightly darker. From the template it looks like the four horizontal squares are the 'sides' of the box, so these should be lighter at the top and slightly darker at the bottom.

The top panel can use the same trick. I'd be tempted to put a sun in this panel (off centre) and use a radial gradient behind it to match colors to the top edges of the previous four panels.

Clouds can be used for effect. I'd place them completely inside a panel and not overlap the joins.

Start with the coloring. Use a blue to blue gradient to give the effect of a slight lightening towards the apex -in other words the horizon will be slightly darker. From the template it looks like the four horizontal squares are the 'sides' of the box, so these should be lighter at the top and slightly darker at the bottom.

The top panel can use the same trick. I'd be tempted to put a sun in this panel (off centre) and use a radial gradient behind it to match colors to the top edges of the previous four panels.

Clouds can be used for effect. I'd place them completely inside a panel and not overlap the joins.

Slight correction: the sky is a deeper shade of blue around the sun, and gets lighter as it gets farther away from it (when the sun is not near the horizon)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Slight correction: the sky is a deeper shade of blue around the sun, and gets lighter as it gets farther away from it (when the sun is not near the horizon)

I conducted a deep analysis of this hypothesis (I went outside an looked).  Pdnnoob is absolutely correct!

In light of 'noob turning my world upside down, I made this:

yhsjjie-98.png

Attached is the PDN to get you started.

Sun is a blurred white circle sitting inside a faint halo (radial blur entirely within the top panel).

Moon is awful and simply followed BoltBait's advice and stole one off Google.

Clouds made from a very old version of Perlin Noise plugin (code is by Sepcot I believe and buried deeper than Gollum poo within the forum).  You could use this instead: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/18950-almost-realistic-fluffy-clouds/

SkyMap.zip