Consider renaming "By percentage" to "To percentage" in resize dialog

In the sense that you take it, yes it is incorrect. However, when it says "by percentage," it implies "resize" is the verb. Therefore, the phrase being used is "resize by percentage" which can mean two things: resize by a percentage (how you took it), or resize via percentage (which makes it correct).

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

^^ Agreed. Take the following (largely ficticious) statement:

"My salary was increased to percentage xx".

vs.

"My salary was increased by percentage xx".

I just don't see the logic of "to percentage" at all.

^^ Agreed. Take the following (largely ficticious) statement:

"My salary was increased to percentage xx".

vs.

"My salary was increased by percentage xx".

I just don't see the logic of "to percentage" at all.

If a product cost $100, and the price was reduced BY 10%, it will cost $90, not $10 ( it is 90% of original value). But if you resize an image in PDN BY 10%, it becomes 10% of the original size.

If this is a convention in graphics programs, that's fine, but it does fly in the face of normal usage.

Yes but it doesn't say "Resize ... Reduce by percentage:". There's no implicit reduce/increase verb in there. That's not how the implicit sentence is formed.

You are specifying the values by percentage or by absolute size.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I think Reltin is mistakenly concatenating "By Percentage" and the value i.e. "Resize by percentage (of) 10%".

As Rick said, that is not implied. Instead think "Resize. By Percentage. 10%." The full stops are important in separating the items. The inference is that the percentage resize is 10% of the original.

You are specifying the values by percentage or by absolute size.

In other words, "through the use of a percentage value." The confusion here is a result of the use of the word "by" which, in this case, can have two meaning depending on how you look at it. I don't quite agree with EER's explanation, but I think we all agree on "by percentage" being correct...

EDIT: I like the "forum ninja notification" addition, btw. EER totally ninja'd me there, but at least I got to see what he said before I posted :D

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Sorry for the ninja there 'noob.

If nothing else this discussion reveals how much effort Rick puts into keeping things clear and as simple as possible.

Now. About this 'not quite agreeing with me'. (obviously a clear violation of the forum terms and conditions....)

Would it be clearer if my example was:

"Gee, I'd like to Resize this image. I'd like to keep the same aspect ratio, so I'll guess I'll resize it By a Percentage of the current height and width. I wonder how it would look at 10% of the original size?"

I Think both phrases by percentage and to percentage are right in some order since By percentage means : Use percentage , or Resize by using percentage .

in the other hand , To percentage means : Resize to this percentage .

so both will give the same meaning (not directly) .

Ahmed.

The reason I logged this bug, is that I wanted to reduce the size of an image by 20% (ie to 80% of its original size), but it was reduced to 20% of its original size, it took a few seconds to realise what was happening, and I worked around it. "Target size" would be less ambiguous, but since MS Paint uses same convention, let's let this issue go.